Search for content in message boards

Are the Wrights of Dorchester related to the Wright Brothers?

Replies: 0

Are the Wrights of Dorchester related to the Wright Brothers?

Posted: 1509999241000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright
My family appears to be the long lost Wright family of the Dorchester Wrights. I've recently traced my roots back to Edward Wright (1638-1733) from Nottingham, England who landed in Somorset, Maryland in the mid to late 1600s. In the book written by Charles W. Wright, "The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico counties, Maryland (1907)", you will find my direct ancestor barely mentioned on page 56,

"Benjamin Wright, son of [Captain] Jacob, had four sons:
John, Willing, Joseph and levin Wilson. No record of John or Willing Wright."

John Wright is my 4th Great Grandfather. I'm unsure as to why there was no information about him in this book, but additional trouble came soon after him (as far as finding information about my family).

It appears my family lived right there in Barren Creek, Maryland (also known as Mardela Springs) for generations. My 2nd Great Grandfather, William Washington Wright, is the one who broke the tradition. He moved to Hurlock, Maryland between 1907 and 1910 for some reason. He had two sons and one daughter. Millard Wright, Garland Wright, and Virgie Wright. Millard never had children and died in WWII from a plane accident on US Soil. Virgie married very late in life to a man by the name of George Wainwright, and died before he did in Hurlock, Maryland.

Where my family diverged next was with Millard (well, it was his darn fault lol). Millard ran away from home, so my Great Grandpa Garland Lee Wright went after him. He was found and came back to Hurlock, but Garland stayed in Mobile, Alabama where he had found Millard at. It was there that he met my great grandmother, Viola Courtney, had two children, and then died at the very very young age of 33 from a burst appendix and pneumonia. My family came back to Hurlock for the funeral, and stayed there for a few more years, then returned to Mobile.

For years I thought my origin was from Alabama, but it wasn't, it was from Maryland. More over, my fourth Great Grandfather was also highly unknown, so he also went under the radar. I'm thankful that I found this will, which was able to let me tie them together, but the querstion that still runs through my mind is this:

Is our family, the Wrights, related at all to the family of the Wright Brothers? I believe it's clear that the Dorchester Wrights are not close relatives of the Wrights from Ohio, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, but I'm curious if they share the lineage in England. My Wright family, Bloyce Wright, was from Nottingham, England, and the Wright Wright's family, Samuel Wright, was from Essex County, England. The two cities are approximately two and a half hour's drive from each other, or about 150 miles.

Would anyone have any idea about this possible connection? I'd imagine it'd be even further back than these two blokes, but you never know. Given they're from the same country, it's likely at some point they have a common ancestor.

-Eric Wright

Find a board about a specific topic