Search for content in message boards

The Felton Family of Carroll and Frederick Counties, Maryland

Replies: 1

The Felton Family of Carroll and Frederick Counties, Maryland

Posted: 1496104929000
Classification: Query
How do you do? I'm seeking proofs regarding an obscure fourth great-grandmother's ancestry in Maryland. Her name was Prudence Felton, born 1802 in Washington County/died 7 July 1864 in Horse Shoe Run, Preston County, West Virginia. She married Abraham Daniel "Abram" Wotring, born 26 March 1805 in Aurora, Preston County, West Virginia/died 13 June 1891 in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 8 November 1825 in that county and state. Felton was Wotring's first wife.

Prudence had twelve siblings: Henry Felton (wife Catherine Wotring); John Felton, Junior (wife Margaret Wotring); Samuel Felton (wife Catherine Meighen); Daniel Felton, Senior (wife Lucinda England); Joshua Felton; Caleb M. Felton (first wife _____ Kettle; second wife Susanna Digman); Benjamin Felton (wife _____ Miles); Joseph Felton; Elizabeth "Betsy" Felton (husband Michael Whetsell); Sarah Ann Felton (wife [Doctor] Benjamin Jaudon); Mary Felton; Joanna Felton (husband Gilbert Boyles, Junior).

The children's sire was John Felton, Senior, born 1760/1780 in Taneytown, Carroll County, Maryland/died 1844 in Preston County, West Virginia. On 23 November 1798 in Frederick County, Maryland, he wedded Mary Eleanor McHenry, born 1782 in Maryland/died 17 Apr 1857 in Barbour County, West Virginia.

Data on Felton, Senior is sketchy. He witnessed a Lutheran baptism alongside a Benjamin Ogle whilst resident in Frederick County, Maryland. Missus Felton's parents were of Irish descent. The couple themselves converted to the Methodist church later on. After relocating, John Felton held minor judicial offices. I can't verify Revolutionary War service as oral tradition has clearly passed down.

Where me and my Felton kindred end pertains to the earliest patriarch, Benjamin Felton. Via the Felton Family Association's historian, he is the same person born 1720 in Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts/died in Maryland. A forgotten source read by another seasoned researcher said Felton became a roaming salesman upon a falling-out with his Puritan parents, Skelton Felton born 1681 in Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts/died 18 April 1749 in Rutland, Worcester County and Hephzibah Sheldon, born circa 1685 in Lynn, Essex County/died after 1749 in the state. Their marriage occurred May 1712 in Essex County.

Secondary sources are the documents from whence us Appalachian Feltons draw our information. They collectively suggest John Felton, Senior descended from the second son of a Lord Felton. Prudence (Felton) Wotring had a grandson named Felton Hall Wotring in honor towards that claim. Benjamin's lot immigrated to where the "Northern Line" came via [Lieutenant] Nathaniel Felton, Senior, born 1615 in Coventry, Warwickshire, England/died 30 July 1705 in Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts. *That* Felton, Senior wedded 1647 in Salem to Mary Skelton, born 1627 in Tattersall, Lincolnshire, England/died 8 May 1701 in Salem.

The aforementioned "second son," I now know to be [Sir] Edmund de Felton and bride [Lady] Gerard. De Felton's brother [Sir] Thomas de Felton (wife Joan Walkfare) was made a Knight of the Garter. At some point, [Lieutenant] Nathaniel's line lost their noble titles and never reclaimed them. One genealogist has taken those de Feltons further back, a Norman family surname de Bertram. Ties to British aristocracy and royalty exist.

My personal essays to reach out have been met with hostility. I feel angry about it. Primary sources contradict the latter historian's information apropos the 1880 United States census. John Felton, Senior's male parent's name was/isn't John. Prudence (Felton) Wotring's paternal grandmother's own, nobody can say. Her dad lived amongst Wheelers, very possibly raised by them. A connection seems so near. Help would be *most* welcomed and appreciated! Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jacob Carpent... 1496104929000 
zijzij 1497134536000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic