Search for content in message boards

Nizaire Pelletier of Allagash Maine - controversy over parents

Replies: 3

Nizaire Pelletier of Allagash Maine - controversy over parents

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 7:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Nizaire Pelletier of Allagash Maine (abt 1836 - 1924). Oral history states that he showed up in Allagash aged approximately 13. No mention of family, did not keep in touch with family.
First married Mary Jane Hughes - she died with their first child, in childbirth.
Second married Mary Jane Hafford and they had 10 children.
I could only find one birth record for the children and in that record, Nizaire lists his place of birth as Frenchville, Maine, which conflicts with conventional opinion that he was born in New Brunswick. Lots of mistakes on birth records, though, and plenty of reason to state he was US born when he might not have been.

About half of the researchers on ancestry.com list his as having parents unknown, and the other half believe he is a son of Augustin Pelletier (1790 - 1877) and Marie Anne Bellefleur. Looks like Augustin and Marie Anne had a son Nizaire about the right time frame, but he appears to have been with his family long after our Nizaire was off on his own in the Allagash settlement.

Because the Allagash Pelletier family line seems to end with Nizaire, I had the paternal DNA test run on Maynard Pelletier - Nizaire's grandson via son Tom. I'm in the process of contacting the matches, but most people who try the DNA test are those like me, who have hit a dead end, rather than those who know their French Canadian line back 400 years.

If anyone in the Augustin Pelletier line has their paternal DNA data, we can compare and possibly end this controversy.

BTW, Nizaire's father would have been caucasian, R1b, which is the most common Y Haplotype in Western Europe so Northern France looks like a strong possibility.

I'm looking for the line Augustin Pelletier (1790 - 1877); Nicholas (1757 - 1823); Augustin (1718 - 1796); Guillaume (1681 - 1734); Noel (1659 - 1712) to compare DNA against Nizaire.

Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kimcosta_1 15 Jan 2011 2:45PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 16 Jan 2011 1:47PM GMT 
kimcosta_1 24 Jul 2011 1:27AM GMT 
Lesa Bielman 26 Jan 2012 5:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic