The History of Greenfield Missionary Baptist Church
Greenfield Missionary Baptist Church has enjoyed a rich history which dates back to 1870. The Cate family, employers of Brother Levi Thompson, donated the land for the church. Brother Thompson was community religious leader who worked with Brother Ben Noble, J. C. Williams, and Dan Day to establish a community church.
Rev. Wilford Washington served as the first pastor. The early Deacons were Brother Levi Thompson, J. C. Williams, Ben Noble, Charles McCraney, Charles Andrews, Winston Scott and Van Greenfield. Throughout the following years others pastors and assistants have served the Greenfield family's spiritual needs. A few of them are: Rev. Peter Tyson, Rev. Allen Harrell and Rev. Wash Warren, Additionally, Rev. J. H. McKinley served as pastor for thirty years.
In 1930, Rev. W. M. Mixon became the pastor and leader. Under his leadership and guidance the church family continued to expand and grow. Pastor Mixon introduced and developed new ministries and auxiliaries to enhance the church fellowship and worship. Under his leadership a new sanctuary was built in 1957 which was used until 2003.
In 1972, Rev. Nolan Clayton became the pastor and leader of our church family. Under Pastor Clayton's leadership the church continued to grow and enrich the lives of the membership. Under his leadership the church developed new religious programs and services designed to meet the needs of members of all age groups. The church also began to utilize modern computer technology to maintain the church records and finances.
In 1998, Pastor Jerry Hanible became the pastor and new leader for out church family. Pastor Hanible's theme for his ministry is "Equipping Christ Disciples To IMPACT The World". Under his leadership the church family has continued to grow and expand. To honor Pastor Mixon's and Pastor Clayton's ministry of the church family, Pastor Hanible has named the church educational foundation in their name. Pastor Hanible is currently facilitating the process to make Pastor Clayton's vision of constructing a new sanctuary for our church family a reality.