Search for content in message boards

Johnson - Butts - Newton KY > Missouri 1800s

Replies: 2

Johnson - Butts - Newton KY > Missouri 1800s

Posted: 1451832252000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Dowell, Carrington, Butt, Butts, Newton
Would love to chat with anyone familiar with these various family groups.

James JOHNSON, b.abt 1815 in KY, married Elizabeth Butt/Butts, daughter of Jeremiah Butts and Nancy Anne Newton. James and Elizabeth settled in Northeast Missouri and raised a large family there.

In the 1850/1860 census reports, I have three (3) Johnson individuals and I am trying to determine if they are related, either as siblings or as cousins:

1)James JOHNSON, above-mentioned
2)Alexander JOHNSON, b.abt 1819 KY, working the farm with James in 1850
3)Rebecca JOHNSON Dowell, b.abt 1825 KY. Alexander is with her family in the 1860 census. She married Charles Dowell.

I have all the info, for James and Rebecca, after 1860. I am LOOKING FOR their specific parents and birth locations. I have the death records for James and Rebecca, and parents and more detailed birth locations are not mentioned.

But I am still searching for where Alexander JOHNSON went after 1860.

Recent update: using DNA, I, a descendant of James, has been matched with someone who is a descendant of Rebecca. Correct generation and no other surnames matched up.

Also through DNA, I have matched up with someone who descends from an Elizabeth JOHNSON Carrington, who was born in 1814 in Montgomery County, KY. Again, we match at the approximate generation and no other surnames are a match.

So if you have any hints or tips or working knowledge of Johnsons in 1800s Kentucky, I'd love to hear from you. Also, if you have insider info on families that migrated to Missouri.

I've been a member of Ancestry.com for decades. Done all the census reports and vital records. Though I might have missed something.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kenoyer Neely
2nd Great Granddaughter of James Johnson and Elizabeth Butts

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NancyKNeely 1451832252000 
thomasker2 1455487095000 
NancyKNeely 1455491202000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic