Search for content in message boards

Mary Ann WHEAT, mother of Willis T. Shirley b. Nov 1855, Monroe Co.

Replies: 1

Mary Ann WHEAT, mother of Willis T. Shirley b. Nov 1855, Monroe Co.

Posted: 1477350092000
Classification: Query
Surnames: WHEAT, THOMAS, SHIRLEY, Simpson/Sympson
I am looking for the exact Mary Ann Wheat mentioned in the will of Zachariah Shirley who birthed son Willis Turner Shirley.

I find a birth record for Willis under the name of Willis Wheat, mother is listed as Mary Ann Wheat, no father listed. I do not find (that I can tell) Willis in the 1860 census as a 4 or 5 yr old child, but do find him in the 1870 with his father, step mother and half-siblings.

I have Willis passing in January 1935 in Monroe County, he married Sarah Elizabeth Simpson/Symson and together they had several children together, one of which was a daughter, Annie Gertrude or Gertrude Annie (depending on what record you are looking at), who is my son's 2nd great-grandmother.

It has been suggested to me that Mary Ann Thomas who married a Wheat could be the mother, but I fail to agree on the fact that WHEAT is the name she is given in the birth record of Willis. I am more inclined to believe Mary Ann who was the daughter of James William and Lucinda WHEAT are her parents since these are the only 2 Mary Ann Wheats I can find in the area at the time of Willis' birth. Unless, of course, someone has proof they wouldn't mind sharing to prove otherwise.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated and in turn, I will be more than willing to share the information I have that will complete this line in your research.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lostyankee261 1477350092000 
judyartley261... 1482371474000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic