Search for content in message boards

Joseph B. Carter Family/McLean, Muhlenberg or Ohio Counties KY/or NC

Replies: 0

Joseph B. Carter Family/McLean, Muhlenberg or Ohio Counties KY/or NC

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 8:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Watson, Crawford
I am searching the Carter Families who lived in McLean, Muhlenberg and Ohio Counties in the mid to late 1800's and early 1900's. My gr-grandmother was Naomi Carter Crawford. Her father was James Carter and her mother was Piety (Pidie) Ellen Watson Carter. James' father was Joseph B. Carter. He was born in NC in either 1818 or 1819, but I cannot find him prior to living in KY and TN. He was apparently married to Elizabeth (Bettie??) Ann Shultz Carter also born in NC, abt. 1822.

He and his first wife had several children that were born in NC. (I can't figure out where) William, Mary, Nancy, Lucinda and Joseph. The first time I can find them is in Smith Co. TN in the 1850 Census. There, they had Richard and James (my direct ancestor)and possibly Marion. There was a record in TN, I think, that they had a child that died at birth or shortly thereafter. In 1860, I found them in Logan Co. KY and in 1870 in Ohio Co. KY. Somewhere in between, Joseph's first wife, Elizabeth died and he remarried a quite younger woman, Elisabeth Pearson Carter (dob 1845/KY). They were married on 7/27/1875 and had several more children. I think the last census I see him in is 1880 in Ohio Co. KY.

My great-grandparents eventually lived in McLean Co. and I find them in later census records.

It is a complete mystery to me that I cannot find any marriage or birth records of Joseph, his first wife or any of their children that were born in NC. Does anyone have any information about this family?? I have found that James' brother Richard is buried in Daviess County...Philpot, I think. I would appreciate ANY information, especially if someone knows about anything that pertains to NC. Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic