Dr. J. H. Sullivan was born in Woodford County, Ky., July 13, 1848, and is the second son of Dr. R. S. and Elizabeth Arnold Sullivan, both of Woodford County. The father, born in 1810, was a physician, a graduate of Lexington Ky. University, and practiced about thirty-five years in Woodford County; he died in July 1885. The paternal grandfather of Dr. J. H. Lewis Sullivan, was born in Virginia, immigrated to Kentucky in quite an early day and settled in Woodford County; was a farmer all his life. The paternal great-grandfather, Wyat, was born in Ireland. Dr. J. H. Sullivan was reared in Woodford County, and educated in the commone schools; he commenced to read medicine in 1870 under his father, and in 1871 took a course of lectures at Louisville Medical College, and also a course in 1872-73 and graduated in 1873. Immediately after graduating he located in Fayette County, Ky. and practiced about one year; then formed a partnership with his father, moved to Woodford County and practiced about five years; then located in Owen County and stayed two years; then located in Andercon County and stayed two years, and Movember 15, 1886, moved to Bellepoint, which is just across the Kentucky River from Frankfort. November 25, 1884, he married Mrs. Sallie B. Garnette Thompson of Henry County, Ky., daughter of John B. and Bettie Elliott Thompson, both natives of Henry County, Ky. Mrs. Sullivan is a member of the Christian Church. Although the doctor has been in Bellepoint but a short time, he has met with a large practice.
Kentucky: A History of the State, Perrin, Battle & Kniffen, 5th edition, 1887