Search for content in message boards

James Ballard of Bath KY My 5th Great Grandpa

Replies: 0

James Ballard of Bath KY My 5th Great Grandpa

Posted: 1449413048000
Classification: Query
Surnames: BALLARD, HON, RUTH
I am working on family history and using DNA to map my dad's and mom's pedigrees. Arabella Ballard was daughter of Garrett (Gerard) Ballard whose father is supposed to be James Ballard. We come through a female BALLARD line (Arabella Ballard Ruth). Our surname is not BALLARD. I need help from a male descendant cousin who has the BALLARD name and descends from James (or at the very least Garrett). I have confirmed relationships with others who are also cousins via DNA by establishing our RUTH surname (submitting a Y37 test) and including a family finder test through familytreedna.com but sadly NO BALLARD match has appeared to to help me anchor our BALLARDs and help me advance my efforts to determine more about James.

Here is what I am attempting to do - Isolate where James Ballard's branch originated by comparing DNA for early BALLARDS. While my roots are Southern OH- and Great Grandma Ari Ballard HON's daughter Laura Belle Hon married Albert Bishop RUTH and raised her family in Scioto Co OH. My dad, Laura's great grandson chose a military career, so I was raised away from the region where my ancestors lived. My days have been near the Atlantic This has created an unique perspective for me as I work along.

I was raised very close to descendants of some of our Nation's earliest colonial families who can track their families back to the Jamestown supplies. I went to school with these VA BALLARDS. And for the last five years I have worked a DNA cluster focussed on the earliest families of NC. I have found a very,very early BALLARD who sold land to the SASSER family near what is now known as Seven Springs in the 1730s. The name BALLARD traces through these Sassers and they are not sure exactly how. The research for them has a conflict where some researchers think the maiden name of a Howell great+ grandma was HOWELL and others say it was BALLARD. I have established DNA for these Sassers too.

We are very fortunate to be able to use DNA in our family history research today. I have seen folks who have done research for over 50 years (some suspectiing relationships but unable to find paper records) find answers simply by taking the time to establish their branch in the familytreedna.com database by submitting a Y37 test and including a family finder test! So many records are gone because both states had wars march across the land AND the earliest histories seem to be and lots of fragments of information hang in limbo.

I know there are male descendants for our BALLARD line - cousins whose pedigrees converse back to James and Garrett. I hope our BALLARD cousins of KY will take a look and locate their oldest male relative and submit a Y37 and family finder test through familytreedna.com. There are many of us stuck at the same point. Many cousins with other surnames, like my family, have done their part.

Did James hail from a branch of BALLARDs tracking back to coastal VA or very early NC? We can get information left to us by our ancestors but when it comes to DNA the BALLARD men who track back directly bring a specific piece of the information to light.

Right now the DAR is asking members and applicants to establish REV WAR soldiers' branches too.

So there's more than one reason to participate in the familytreedna.com database.

Familytreedna.com was chosen by the DAR as their partner. FTDNA.com was also chosen by National Geographic as their partner. It was the first and is the oldest genealogical DNA lab.

I sure hope this plea will help BALLARD cousins understand their participation will give us the missing puzzle piece

Find a board about a specific topic