Search for content in message boards

Richard Patterson's 22 Aug 1832 will Adair County Kentucky

Replies: 0

Richard Patterson's 22 Aug 1832 will Adair County Kentucky

Posted: 1495507832000
Classification: Will
Edited: 1495541748000
Surnames: Patterson
Will Book C, Page 664. Adair County, Kentucky.
Transcription by Daniel Troublefield
In the Name of God Amen
I Richard Patterson of the County of Adair and State of Kentucky being weak of body but of perfect mind & memory thanks be to God. Calling to mind the mortality of my body & that it is apointed for all Men Once to die do Constitute and ordain this my last will and Testament and first I give and recomend my Soul unto the hands of Almighty God Who gave it and my body I recomend to the earth nothing doubting but at the resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God. And first I will and desire that all my legal debts and funeral expences be paid that my wife Ann Patterson shall have and enjoy the one third of my estate both real & personal dureing her natural life or Widowhood and I further will that my wife Ann have the Controle of all my Plantation and personal estate untill my son Eli Jackson Patterson Comes of age & then he is to have the two thirds of the land and the two thirds of the stock. I further will & desire that my two Daughters Martha Ann & Sally Martin have out of my estate a hoarse & saddle worth fifty dollars to Each of them & also a bed and furniture to Each of them all to be paid to them When they come of age or intermarry and I further will that my wife Ann and my Son Eli Jackson pay the aforesaid property to my two Daughters Martha Ann & Sally Martin that is to say my wife one third & my Son Jackson two thirds at the time above mentioned and a cow & calf to each of them. as above. And further I have give in advance to my sons John James M Carey A V Balah & my two Daughters Polly & Betsy the full amount of What I intended or was able to give them. I further devise that my four sons & two Daughters receive out of my estate in twelve months after my decese the sum of five dollars each & that my wife Ann pay the one third & my son Eli Jackson two thirds of the aforesaid sum. I do further devise that my Daughter Permelia be paid a good side Saddle & five dollars in twelve months after my decese the one third by my wife Ann & two thirds by my son Eli Jackson I do further constitute my trusty friends Martin Scott & Robert Ewing Executors to this my last will and Testament and I further Revoke disanull all wills legises & bequeaths made by me in any wise and declareing this to be my last will and Testament Witness my hand this
22nd day of August 1832. Richard Patterson (Seal)
Test'
John Scott
James Wilmore

State of Kentucky } Sct
Adair County }
County Court August Term 1833. This last will and Testament of Richard Patterson decd.. was exhibited in open Court & proven by the Oaths of John Scott and James Wilmore subscribing witnesses there to & ordered to be recorded & on the Motion of Martin Scott one of the Exors named in said Will the Execution thereof is granted him he having executed and acknowledged Bond in the penal sum of One Thousand Dollars With John Scott his Security conditioned according to law and taken the Oath required by law.
Teste Wm.. Caldwell C.A.C.C.
Transcription by Daniel Troublefield
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
This is a complete transcripton of the will as recorded in the above mentioned Will Book C, page 664.

Please note: Although some punctuation was used in the recorded copy of Richard Patterson's will, there are no commas separating the names of his four older sons: John James M Carey A V Balah.

John and James M. Patterson are clear enough, but whether the initials A.V. relate to Carey or to Balah is unclear from the context. However, Carey's obelisk-shaped gravestone spells his name "Cary A. Patterson," so perhaps only the initial "V" remains unclear whether it applies to Carey or to Balah (called "Bailer" in his marriage record).

A will abstract posted online confuses the names of all the children even more, so it appeared that a transcript of the entire will was needed.
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I recently resumed research of my John & Mary Patterson family (my sixth great-grandparents) of York County, South Carolina, who had a son Richard Patterson who was still living in 1828. Their son may have been this same Richard of Adair County. Lincoln County, North Carolina, where this Richard married Martha Barnett, daughter of Samuel Barnet, in 1793 is just north of where my Pattersons lived.

Mary Patterson, (my 5th great-grandmother), a daughter of John & Mary Patterson, married Thomas Ferguson, Esq., of Lincoln County, North Carolina. One of Thomas's kinsmen called James Ferguson, Sr., married Sarah Barnett, another daughter of Samuel Barnet, in 1789 in Lincoln County, N.C.

Find a board about a specific topic