Search for content in message boards

Judge Wiley J. MACY 12627 - Hart Co

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

Judge Wiley J. MACY 12627 - Hart Co

Posted: 1510148645000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Macy, Bird, Gregg
NOTE: I have no connection, no further information and am not seeking additional information.

Kentucky Genealogy and Biography, Volume I, Battle-Perrin-Kniffin, 2nd. ed, 1885.

JUDGE WILEY J. MACY, a native of Hart County, Ky., was born April 9, 1844. His father, John P. Macy, also a native of Hart County, was born in 1809, and in 1836, married Miss Zerelda Bird, daughter of Robert Bird. She died in 1864, leaving two sons, William L. and Wiley J., and one daughter, Annie M. John P. Macy, when a young man, emigrated to Missouri, where he operated a lead mine for several years until he was disabled by the collapsing of a mining tunnel; he afterward came to Kentucky, and engaged in tailoring, and died in 1848. His father, Clement Macy, was of English descent and a native of Nantucket Island, on the coast of Massachusetts; he died in 1835 in Hart County, where he had resided for some years, and had followed farming. William J. Macy was reared on a farm, received a good common school training in early life, and at the age of sixteen joined the Federal Army, as a private soldier in Company K, of the Twenty-sixth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; through merit he rose to the rank of sergeant-major, and with his regiment was engaged in the battles of Shiloh, Saltville, Nashville, Franklin, Goldsboro, Fort Anderson, Wilmington, and many lesser engagements; after being discharged, June 30, 1865, he returned home and soon after was elected deputy sheriff of Hart County; he also read law; was licensed to practice in November, 1870, and his practice in Hart and adjoining counties has proved successful and lucrative. Politically Judge Macy is a Democrat; in 1874 he was elected to the judgeship of Hart County, and in 1882 was re-elected, and still holds the office. Judge Macy has many warm friends, and few, if any, enemies, and discharges the duties of his office with honor to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. September 24, 1873, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie Gregg, of Peterboro, Hillsboro Co., N. H. The Judge is a member of the Christian Church, while Mrs. Macy holds to the Presbyterian faith. They are the parents of four daughters: Florence, Katie B., Hattie G. and Nellie H. The Judge is a Royal Arch Mason, also a member of the I.O.O.F.

Find a board about a specific topic