Family of Arie Van Greuningen of Prairie View

Replies: 34

Re: Family of Arie Van Greuningen of Prairie View

Posted: 1475606148000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1475608702000
Hi Margaret,

So it has come full circle at last.....
Great to find that it is indeed the right Johanna Margaretha Stuffers I have been searching for here in The Netherlands. I really had little to no doubt, but it is always best to have it officially validated.
And how clever to find the connecting factor between all the moving around!

As for the marriage being an arranged one, I don't know.
They must have known each other in The Netherlands, probably for the first time at the wedding of brother Abraham Gerardus in Apeldoorn to Maria Kroon in 1877. Maybe even earlier, when Maria Kroon was planning to go to the USA with her future sister in law. They probably visited all the relatives as well to say goodbye.
Was it a marriage based on love? Probably not.

I am inclined to believe it was a marriage of convenience, at least at first.
Johanna M was already 34 years old, in those days nearing spinster status. So the chance for her to find a suitable husband was very much getting slimmer by the day.
Arie was having a very hard life in the USA, being a single father and getting adjusted to his new life. He could certainly use a wife to make life easier. He already knew Johanna M, he knew she had been to the USA before, so she was ideal for him.
I guess he kept in touch with his family in law and through them both Arie and Johanna M got connected.

The note written in pencil was very hard to decipher, but I managed to decipher it as "Aan de moeder verhuisboekje afgegeven"
Relocation booklet issued to the mother

What on earth would you want to compensate me for?
I thoroughly enjoyed trying to solve this puzzle! Since 01 July I have been at home with this wretched hernia. Because of the pain and the medication I am not able to work. I work in childcare so lots of moving around and physical work. So now I am sitting at home, still doing some administrative things for work, but that is not a day filling job.

On the positive side, I had lots of time to contact the various archives. Not something I usually do when helping someone else, but this puzzle somehow caught me.... I felt definitely thrilled when Johanna M was finally located!
And I did not make any costs, except for the scans from Amsterdam. That was a whopping 6 Euro's!!! A small price to pay to keep me off the streets :)

So no, you don't have to compensate me for anything. Very sweet of you to offer, though.

There is just one thing I have been wondering about and would very much like to know...
What is your connection with Arie van Greuningen and Johanna M Stuffers? Are you
a direct descendant or just indirectly?

I will send you the scans by email.

Best wishes,
Marianne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mariannenl 1475500937000 
Mariannenl 1475578317000 
mlpaxton1 1475600626000 
Mariannenl 1475606148000 
mlpaxton1 1475617243000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic