Smokey Hollow mine

Replies: 2

Smokey Hollow mine

Posted: 1459683184000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smokey Hollow mines
I am searching for any articles or records on these mines. My g
My great grandfather John Smead died 6-25-1918 in coal mine accident:
Albia Union-Republican Thursday, June 19, 2008 Page Three; LOOKING BACK; FROM THE BOUND VOLUMES OF THE ALBIA NEWSPAPERS; 1918; The falling of a piece of slate weighing abt 150 lbs. in Number Ten, Smokey Hollow Coal Co. mine caused the death of John Smead Sr. sixty-five years of age.

Died in a coal mine
1918 , Hiteman, Iowa
John E Smead, my great-grandfather, was killed in a mine explosion in 1918. He was one of the oldest miners. His son Dewey had died 5 years earlier in a mining cave-in. This information is documented

Higbee News dated 6-28-1918 JOHN SMEAD KILLED IN IOWA---A message was recieved Tues by Mrs John Goin informing her of the death of her brother in law John Smead of HIteman Iowa who was killed that morning at 6 o'clock. The message gave no paticulars whatever but it is thought from the hour at which death occurred and the fact that Mr Smead llived several miles from the mine at which he worked that he ws killed by a train. We hope to give full particulars next week Mr Smead was well known here having lived here and Elliott for 20 yrs. He had resided in Iowa for the past 10 yrs or more. He was about 60 yrs old and is survived by his widow and several children and a wide circle of friends and acquaintances all whom join the news in warmed sympathy to the bereft.

Higbee news dated 4-25-1929
Nellies Smead -Raincaddys obit in the Higbee News dated 4-25-1929 (his widow remairred) states that he died in a mine accident. His own obit in the Higbee news gave no details of his death.

The Lovilia Press--July 4, 1918
Another Miner Killed
Another one of those distressing accidents happened at the Smokey Hollow Coal Company's mine in Hiteman last Tuesday, when John Smead Sr., was killed by a fall of slate. He and his son, George, a lad of seventeen years, were mining coal when the fall came that sent the unfortunate man to an untimely grave--Albia Union

His son Dewey Smead also lost his life in mine accident;
The Monroe County News October 5, 1953
Lewis Lewis, 45 and Dewy Smead 15, lost their lives in a mine accident in Smoky Hollow No. 8

Family story goes that Dewey's body was never recovered and I would like to know if that is true. I do know there is a stone for him at Cuba Cemetery.

If anyone has any info or records on these mines I would love to hear from them.
Thanks Robin Pardus (email: Robin59@aeroinc.net)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
winkscaudell 1459683184000 
judyartley261... 1463162440000 
shepard999 1495637896000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic