from reprint of Â“Clarke Co. HistoryÂ”, Lewis Pub., Chicago, 1886. p 137
DICKINSON WEBSTER, one of the early settlers of Clarke County, Iowa, and a prominent farmer and nurseryman, was born in the State of Delaware, near New Castle, May 14, 1827. His father, Dickinson Webster, was also a native of Delaware, born in 1792, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary Daley, was born in Maryland in 1799. In 1829 Dickinson Webster, Sr., moved with his family to Perry County, Ohio, living there until the fall of 1849, when he emigrated to Iowa, and in the spring of 1851 located in the southern part of Clarke county, in what is now Franklin Township.
When the county was organized in 1851 he was elected one of its commissioners, and served two terms. He was a sturdy, energetic man, and was one of the most prominent citizens during the early days of the county, assisting materially in its development. He died December 28, 1860. His widow is still living, a resident of Osceola, and although advanced in years is in the enjoyment of good health. Their family consisted of fourteen children, twelve of whom lived to man and womanhood, and those who are now living are scattered, business and inclination inducing them to settle in various States of our Union.
Dickinson Webster, our subject, was one of the eldest of the family. He was but two years of age when his parents settled in Ohio, and in that State he grew to manhood. The country at the time of their settlement there was heavily timbered, and when a mere lad his services were required in assisting to clear it, beginning by piling up the brush after the choppers. His educational advantages were necessarily limited, and would not, all told, exceed one yearÂ’s attendance at school. He remained with his parents until manhood and accompanied them to Iowa.
In April, 1852, he was elected school-fund commissioner of Clarke County, at that time a very important position, and served two terms, or nearly four years. In June, 1854, he moved to Osceola, where he has since lived. He has engaged extensively in farming, owning at one time 900 acres of land. In 1869 he added the nursery business to his other pursuits, and has made of this industry a decided success, having now the principal nursery in the county.
Mr. Webster was married in 1852 to Miss L.J. Perry. They have had four children--T.B., Maggie M. (deceased), Edward A. and Hattie C. Mr. and Mrs. Webster are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he has held important official relations. he is a member of Lodge No. 77, A.F. & A.M.