Search for content in message boards

Dietz/Dyc/Dyce/Dytc family in South Bend

Replies: 2

Re: Dietz/Dyc/Dyce/Dytc family in South Bend

Posted: 1447189304000
Classification: Query
Thank you. I have the 1900, 1910 and 1920 censuses, as well as city directories back to 1894. In that year, I see only Michael Dietz, but the next directory, in 1896, shows Mary as widow of John, thus the belief that he passed sometime between those two years, as well as the due diligence in determining where the other children were born (if they weren't living in South Bend, they likely weren't born there...but I have nothing definitive either way).

I did not previously have the information regarding his intent to naturalize, and will follow up on this.

I have their children as:
William (1876-1917)
Mary Anna (1881-1938)
Jozef John (1883-1920)
John Joseph (1884-1949)
Jozefa D (Josephine) (1886-1974)
Anna (1888-1969)
*All of these except for William are said to have been born in Indiana, but not necessarily South Bend. I do find in the Ladewski Birth Records that Jozefa Dyc was born 6 Dec 1886 to John Dyc and Mary Hildebrant, but this information is taken from her tombstone and not indicative of her being born in South Bend. Mary Dyc is also listed as daughter of John Dyc and Mary Hildebrant, but the information is taken from her marriage license, and again not indicative of a South Bend birth. I have several marriage and death dates, but the only thing I have for John or John J is for the son, as John Joseph Sr did not live until 1949. From what you've given me, there are two additional children who had already passed by 1900. Mary, born in 1881, was married in 1899, and thus would not have shown up on the 1900 census.

My issue is that I have no record of him living in South Bend or dying in South Bend. The Mary listed in the Ladewski Death Records as having passed in 1932 is noted to be buried without Waclaw. I am unclear as to whether Mary remarried at any point. From a newspaper article dated 8 Nov 1932, I learn that she died in a gas stove explosion (the irony here is that Mary Hildebrant is my biological great-grandmother and in my adoptive family, my great grandmother also died of a gas stove explosion...). Article reads as follows:
Mrs. Mary Dietz, age 79, of 1359 West Fisher St (I show this is the correct address in the city directories listing her as John's widow), died at 7:30 o'clock Monday night of burns received earlier in the day when a can of kerosene which she was pouring into a kitchen stove exploded and set fire to her clothing.
After first aid treatment was administered by firemen who were called by relatives, Mrs. Dietz was taken to Epworth Hospital. The explosion also set fire to the house, doing damage of $100 before flames were extinguished.
The body of Mrs. Dietz was removed to the Michael Jurek funeral home, 1233 Western avenue.
Mrs. Dietz was born in Austria, June 13, 1852, and came here 52 years ago. She leaves one son, John Dietz, and three daughters, Mrs, Mary Szmanda, Mrs. Josephine Golichowski, and Mrs. Anna Paczkowski, all of this city. The body will lie in the residence of Mrs. Golichowski, 1324 West Fisher street and funeral rites will take place at 9 o'clock Friday morning from St. Casimir's Roman Catholic church. Re. Anthony Rozewicz, pastor, will officiate and burial will be in St. Joseph cemetery.

I am still hoping to uncover the actual birth location of the children younger than William, and the actual year/location of death of John Sr.

Thanks!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
autaire 1447098403000 
taltos017 1447171705000 
autaire 1447189304000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic