From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 599-600
Joseph J. Creviston, for several years justice of the peace of Markle, Huntington county, Indiana, and dispenser of law and order, is a product of this state, having been born in Grant county, December 8, 1840. He is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Kepler) Creviston, both of whom were natives of Bedford county, Pennsylvania. The father was born in 1797, and he and the grandfather fought in the war of 1812. They moved from their home in Pennsylvania to Knox county, Ohio, during the early part of the nineteenth century, and remained there until they moved to Indiana, locating in Grant county. Here the grandfather entered one hundred and sixty acres of government land, built a log cabin and there resided until his death at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. He was active in public work, helping to lay out roads, organize schools, and ever ready to use any honorable means to advance the good of the community.
Joseph Creviston was married in Ohio and later moved to Grant county, where he entered government land. He afterward purchased a tract of wild timber land on Walnut creek, where he lived until 1851, thence to Huntington county, settling in Jefferson township, having purchased a saw and grist-mill located on Salamonie river, about four miles from Warren, known as the "old Mitchell mill." He operated the mill for two years, and then moved to Rock Creek township, where he had purchased seventy-two acres of land, erecting thereon a log cabin. This property he cleared and cultivated until his death, August 16, 1875. Mr. Creviston was a well educated gentleman, and taught school during the winter months for several years. He was the father of eleven children, three sons and eight daughters, ten of whom grew to adult years. Joseph J. Creviston, the subject of this biography, was next to the youngest child, and but eleven years old when his father brought the family to Huntington county. Soon after his marriage he rented the homestead of his parents and cultivated it until their death which occurred in 1883, when he moved to Markle. He now has a fine farm of one hundred and fifteen acres, on which he has placed most of the improvements, and laid over fifteen hundred rods of drainage tile. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Comapny H, Forty-seventh Indiana Regiment, serving until May 18, 1865, and taking part in many skirmishes. While in the service he had the misfortune to become afflicted with chronic diarrhoea, (sic) and has suffered from poor health ever since.
When he was twenty years of age Mr. Creviston was married to Miss Mary Jane Walker, of Onondaga county, New York. Their family consists of three children, viz: Sarah, who married Benjamin J. Lyons, a farmer of Rock Creek township; Armina Isabell, wife of Sylvester Gill, a farmer; and Joseph D., who cultivates the old home place in Rock Creek township. Mr. Creviston is a Democrat, and in 1894 was called upon to serve the people of Markle as justice of the peace, they having had gratifying experience of his capabilities when township trustee, he plainly demonstrating his ability and desire to serve them faithfully and well. He has held the office of justice of the peace for six years and has discharged his duties with a view to secure that justice to litigants which the law contemplates, thus winning the commendation of all order-loving citizens. He is a member of A. J. Barlow Post, No. 560, Grand Army of the Republic, of Markle, and of Markle Lodge, No. 453, Free and Accepted Masons, of Markle. He was at one time commanding officerof the post.
The parents of Mrs. Creviston were David and Sarah (Wright) Walker, natives of the state of New York. In 1844, when Mrs. Creviston was but six weeks old, they moved to Lorain county, Ohio, and thirteen years later to Huntington county, Indiana. They purchased a farm in Rock Creek township and conducted a saw-mill in connection therewith until the year 1863, when he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirtieth Indiana Volunteers, and remained in the army one year. He returned to Indiana and settled in Bear Creek, Jay county, where he died in 1870.