From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 531-533
Ulysses Samuel Lesh, member of the firm of Lesh & Lesh, attorneys at law, is a native of Indiana, born on the 9th day of August, 1868, in the county of Wells. His father, Joseph Lesh, a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, born March 29, 1835, was the son of John and Elizabeth (Ulrich) Lesh, who came to Indina about 1850 and located in Wells county, where they continued to reside a number of years, both dying there at advanced ages.
John Lesh, a farmer by occupation, was a man of sterling worth, and during his residence in the county of Wells earned the reputation of being a most exemplary and praiseworthy citizen, a successful man, and as a member of the Reformed church became a potent factor in all moral and religious movements in the neighborhood where he resided.
Joseph Lesh passed the years of his youth in his native county and state, accompanied his parents to Indiana, and in early manhood engaged in teaching school in the county of Wells, and later embarked in the mercantile business at the town of Markle, Huntington county, in which he continued during the period covered by the great Civil war, meeting with encouraging success while thus employed. Disposing of his stock, he subsequently returned to his farm in Wells county, where he passed the remainder of his life, an honored, upright citizen, known and respected by a large circle of friends. He was an active member of the Evangelical Lutheran church, a leader in the local affairs of his community, having been called to fill various official positions, and his business success is attested by the fact of his having accumulated a handsome competence, his realty at the time of his death representing four hundred and fifty acres of as fine land as could be found in the county of Wells. He died August 14, 1893, in the prime of manhood, at the age of fifty-eight, and not the least of the heritage left to his descendants was a name unspotted by a single unworthy act.
The wife of Joseph Lesh was Sarah Lesh, also a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, born November 14, 1843. She was a daughter of John and Harriet (McAfee) Lesh, and came with her parents to Wells county, Indiana, in 1847, and there married October 4, 1860. Her father, John Lesh, and her husband's father, John Lesh, were first cousins. Mrs. Lesh is now a resident of the town of Markle, where she is well known in all religious and charitable works. For many years connected with the Lutheran church, she has been a most worthy and consistent member. She is the mother of seven children, whose names and and addresses are as follows: Daniel W., Douglas, Quilla (Lesh) Freds; Sylvester, Markle; Ulysses S. (subject of this sketch); Lincoln, of Muncie; and Eben, of Huntington; and to her excellent training and wise counsel their children are largely indebted for much of the success which thus far has attended them.
Ulysses S. Lesh, in common with the majority of men reared amid rural scenes, early became familiar with the rugged, toilsome duties of farm life, meanwhile attending the district schools of his neighborhood, where he made substantial progress in the common branches of learning. Impressed with a desire to increase his knowledge, he subsequently entered the State Normal School at Terre Haute, which he attended one term, and for the same length of time pursued his studies in the Northern Indiana Normal, at Valparaiso. Subsequently, in the fall of 1889, Mr. Lesh entered the law department of Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, from which he was graduated in June, 1891, being one of three to receive the highest general average of a class made up of a large number of exceptionally bright young men from all parts of the United States. Upon the completion of his course he began the practice of his profession in the city of Huntington in partnership with James B. Kenner, a firm which continued until July 1, 1901, and which had more than local repute in legal circles throughout the northern part of Indiana. As a lawyer Mr. Lesh stands deservedly high among the successful members of the Huntington bar, and few have been as faithful and untiring to interest intrusted to their hands, or done more toward maintaining the dignity of the legal profession. He combines with the close conscientious student the rare ability to apply the principles of jurisprudence to cases in hand, and is considered a safe and reliable counsellor as well as a skillful practitioner before court and jury. During the period of his practice in Huntington, which has taken a very wide range, his services have been frequently retained in important litigation not only in the courts of adjacent counties, but as well in the higher state and federal courts, and the reputation thus fairly and honorably earned has, as already stated, placed him among the most thorough and logical lawyers at bars noted for exceptional ability of legal talent. He is a member of the American Bar Association, and also the State Bar Association.
Politically Mr. Lesh wields a potent influence for the Republican party, and is recognized as one of its leaders in Huntington county. He is invariably chosen a delegate to county and state conventions, where he takes an active part in the deliberations; and, while in no sense of the word a placeseeker, he has ever been untiring in behalf of his friends and spares no reasonable sacrifice in putting forward the most competent men for official position.
Socially Mr. Lesh is a quiet man, having that becoming modesty which prevents him from putting himself forward; yet, behind this seeming reserve, is a potent force which bespeaks the strong character of an earnest and fearless champion of the right as he sees the right. His practice, already quite extensive, is continually growing, and his many friends in Huntington predict for him a future of still greater promise and usefulness.
Mr. Lesh was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Ursella Fulton on June 27, 1884, and to their union were born three children: John M., born January 24, 1886; Lex, April 13, 1898; and Joseph F., born May 16, 1899, died January 11, 1901. Mrs. Lesh, eldest daughter of Dr. John C. Fulton, a prominent physician of Bluffton, Indiana, and Jennie Bell (Hanna) Fulton, deceased, was born October 9, 1872, and is a lady most popular among the best social circles of Huntington. She is a member of Presbyterian church, and Mr. and Mrs. Lesh are deeply interested in the good work of the congregation with which they are identified, none standing higher in the estimation of the law-abiding and God-fearing people of their home city.