From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 718-720
Abram C. Huffman, a native of Jackson township, Huntington county, Indiana, was born near where he now lives on the 4th day of March, 1846. His father, William Huffman, a native of Richland county, Ohio, and his mother, Elizabeth (Smith) Huffman, also from that state, moved to Huntington county in the year 1845, making the journey from their Ohio home to the place of their future residence in what is now the township of Jackson by canal as far as Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and the balance of the journey was made by ox team, consuming many days before reaching their destination.
William Huffman bought one hundred and sixty acres of land lying in section four, for which he paid the sum of one thousand dollars, and after building a rude log cabin sufficiently large to accommodate his family, he proceeded with the greater task of clearing the place of the dense forest which then covered it. In the course of years his work was crowned with success, a good farm, supplied with many conveniences being the reward of his arduous toil and severe hardships. He lived a useful life, helped lay out roads, organized schools and finally, his labors ended, he passed peacefully to that bourne from which no traveler returns, September 24, 1871, the forty-seventh anniversary birthday. He was a pious member of the Methodist church, assisted in the building of the old house of worship known as Wesley Chapel, located near his place of residence, and by his wholesome influence induced many of the early settlers to change their course of conduct from evil to good. Later he helped to erect the new frame church, near the site of the old one. His widow survived him until July 28, 1894, when she departed this life at the age of seventy-five.
William and Elizabeth Huffman had a family of five children, the subject of this sketch being the oldest of the number; the others were Maggie, wife of Leander Smith; John, who died in infancy; William, a resident of St. Joseph, Missouri; and an infant daughter, the twin of Maggie, that died in infancy.
Abram C. Huffman was reared to manhood on the home farm and received a practical education in the common schools and the Roanoke Seminary. Progress in his studies was very satisfactory, and at the age of twenty-one he began teaching, a vocation he followed during the winter for two years. While in his minority he remained under the parental roof, assisting with the work of the farm, and was thus engaged when the sound of hostile cannon summoned him to take up arms in defense of the National Union. In May, 1864, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he served one hundred days, principally in the cities of Nashville and Tullahoma, Tennessee. After receiving his discharge he returned home, but did not long remain, enlisting again in January, 1865, in Company B, One Hundred and Fifty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, which he accompanied to Clarksville, Tennessee, thence to Hopkinsville, Kentucky, his principal duty being to guard against guerrillas and to rid southern Kentucky of irregular forces of the enemy. On September 4, 1865, Mr. Huffman received his second discharge and returned to Huntington county, immediately thereafter engaging in the pursuit of agriculture, a vocation to which he has ever since devoted his time and energies.
On October 21, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Aurora B. Comstock, who was born on the same farm on which she now resides, February 19, 1850, and is a daughter of Charles and Polly Comstock, of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Huffman's parents were married in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. About 1838 he came to Huntington county, Indiana, and engaged in contracting in the building of locks, etc., on the canal. About 1840 he purchased several hundred acres of government land in the township of Jackson, a part of which is included in the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. By occupation Mr. Comstock was a carpenter and contractor, and he did much work in that line on public works in Huntington county and at Ft. Wayne, as well as on the canal, the first few years following his arrival, and also engaged in building boats for the canal. He preceded his family to the new home by three years, during which time he erected a dwelling and otherwide prepared a home for the reception of his wife and children, who followed him at the expiration of that period in a large wagon laboriously drawn by an ox team.
Mrs. Huffman is one of five children: The oldest, Waty, deceased, became the wife of Samuel T. Morgan, of Huntington; Rosalia died in childhood; Andrew F., deceased; Charles E. is a farmer living in Michigan; and Aurora B. was the youngest member of the family.
To Mr. and Mrs. Huffman have been born five children, whose names are as follows: Lillian E., wife of Monroe Dinius, of Jackson township; Archer W. lives in California; Mable E. married John Ellsworth and resides in Allen county, Indiana; Walter C., a graduate of the Huntington Business College, has a good clerical position in the city of Detroit, Michigan; and Verne A. still lives at the old home.
Mr. Huffman moved to the farm where he at present lives in October, 1868. He has always followed farming as a livelihood, and is now one of the successful and well-to-do farmers and stock-raisers of Jackson, owning one hundred and forty-six acres of finely cultivated land, upon which may be seen some of the best improvements in the township. In addition to general farming and stock-raising he devotes considerable attention to fruit growing, especially apples, pears, plums and cherries, in which his success has been such as to induce others to imitate his example. He has done much to introduce fine grades of fruit into the country, and believes that when properly cared for and well looked after the orchard can be made one of the most profitable, and certainly the most pleasant part, of the farmer's work. As a man and citizen no man stands higher in public esteem or merits greater consideration for what he has done than Mr. Huffman. Industry, energy and integrity are among his chief characteristics, and during a life-time spent in one township his career has been such as to command the highest respect of all who have known or met him in a business or social way. He is an intelligent gentleman, well informed on all leading questions of the day, and has always been a friend of schools and an advocate of the general dissemination of knowledge among the people.
In politics he is a Republican with the courage of his convictions, and in religion subscribes to the Methodist creed. Mrs. Huffman is also a member of the Methodist church, being an active worker in her congregation and alive to all of its interests and philanthropic movements.