One of the old and reliable business houses of Huntington, Indiana, which has grown in size and public confidence with the growth of the city, has shared in its prosperity and has aided in the development of this progress, is that of H.H. Arnold & Son, dealers in dry goods, carpets, ladies ready-made garments, etc. For more than thirty-three years this enterprise has catered to the trade of the people of Huntington, the house has come down from the management of the father to that of the son and changes have been made in business methods and ideals, yet through all the vicissitudes of commerce and trade and the varying fortunes of other ventures, this concern had maintained its same rigid policy of giving the people a fair deal and honest goods, and has retained its reputation for its connection only with legitimate transactions. The present head of this house, Charles Arnold, is known as a business man of excellent ability, who has spent his entire life in the line in which he is now engaged and is intimate with its every particular. He was born at South Whitley, Whitley County, Indiana, December 12, 1866, and is a son of Henry H. and Anna C. (Cleveland) Arnold.
Henry H. Arnold was born at Greenville, Darke County, Ohio, and there received a public school education and passed his youth. He early chose mercantile lines as his field of endeavor, and shortly after attaining his majority moved to South Whitley, Indiana, where he received his introduction to business life as the proprietor of a small but well managed general store. By the year 1880 he felt ready to enlarge the scope of his operations, and accordingly came to Huntington, where he established what was the nucleus for the present business. He built up a large and prosperous trade, became known as one of the leading merchants of his day and locality, and gained the respect and esteem of his associates for his strict integrity and his many sterling qualities of mind and heart. When he died, in 1893, Huntington lost one of its most representative men. Mr. Arnold married Miss Anna C. Cleveland, daughter of Thomas and Phoebe Cleveland, old and honored residents of Whitley county, Mrs. Arnold, a lady of culture and refinement, still survives the father and makes her home in Huntington, where she is widely known for her many acts of charity. She is also an excellent business woman, and still retains her interest in the firm of H.H. Arnold & Son.
Charles Arnold acquired his education in the public and high schools of Huntington, following which he took a commercial course at Eastman's Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, New York, on the Hudson River. This prepared for his entrance into business life, and upon his return home he became connected with the dry goods house of his father in the capacity of clerk. When he had acquired a through knowledge of all departments of the business, his father admitted him to partnership, and thus was founded the firm of H.H. Arnold & Son. When his father died, Charles succeeded him as head of the business, but the firm name, known to the people of Huntington for so many years as a synonym for honest and straightforward dealing, has remained unchanged. The son has inherited many of the admirable characteristics of the older man, and his management of the business has been beneficial to it in the same way. At present they are enlarging their business, increasing their selling space 44 x 110 feet, three stories, which will connect with their present store and give them one of the largest stores in northern Indiana. Modern methods and appliances have been brought into use, and modern stock installed, but the time honored and practical policies have remained, and the people of Huntington have shown their appreciation of them by bringing their trade to this establishment.
In addition to his business prominence, Mr.Arnold is widely known in social and fraternal circles, belonging to the Knights of Pythias and the Elks, as well as to the Huntington Commercial Club. During Govenor Durbin's first term, Mr. Arnold served as a member of his staff.