From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 522-524
Elijah Morrison was born in Jackson township. Wells county, Indiana, on the 30th of November, 1849, being the son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Wright) Morrison, of whom the father was a native of Preble county and the mother of Clinton county, Ohio. They came to Wells county in 1837, settling upon land he had entered the year previously, having made a trip to the new country for that purpose. The father of Andrew bore the same name, and is known to be of Scotch descent, having first settled on the Atlantic coast, though he later became a resident of Ohio, where he died, being known to the citizens of this community only by having visited here repeatedly. Besides Andrew there were four other brothers, Leander, James, Lewis and Eli, the latter being a prominent physician who practiced for a time at Warren, removing later to Des Moines, Iowa. Lewis, after a few years passed in Warren, became a minister of the Methodist church, and devoted his life to that work in the west. James was the earliest of the number to come to Indiana, which he did in 1833, though he remained here but a few years. His son is the well-known Captain Lewis Morrison, ot the famous Thirty-fourth Regiment. Leander, the other brother, passed his life in Huntington county, his widow and son still residing in Salamonie township. A sister of the above men was Martha, who became the wife of John Baker, and lived at Andrews, this county, until 1900, when she moved to Peru, Indiana, where she now resides with her daughter. Andrew Morrison devoted his life to the making of a fine farm in Jackson township, where he passed away at the age of sixty-four, being survived by his companion until May, 1900, she having reached the age of eighty-two. Some years after his death she had become the wife of Rev. Cyrus Smith, and lived for many years in North Marion, though her latter years were passed with her son Elijah. Her husband was one of the widely known and influential ministers of the United Brethren church, his relations to the congregations of that faith in this vicinity having been of the most agreeable and important nature. He was the presiding elder of the conference for some years, and, though now past eighty-three years of age, is well preserved and is often found in the pulpit. The Morrison family consisted of six children, the eldest being Milton, who served in the Thirty-fourth Regiment, Indiana Infantry, during the Civil war, and died at Cairo, Illinois, while en route home, after a long illness, at the age of twenty-six. The second was Amos, who also served in the same regiment, and at the close of the war decided to remain in the south, and soon became a man of considerable importance. He was sent to the state legislature and so distinguished himself that he was elected to a second term, and is now a well known businessman and respected citizen of Gretna Parish, Louisiana. He has been twice elected to the office of sheriff of that parish, a position that he was filling at the time of his death. His son is the Rev. R. A. Morrison, of College Park United Brethren church of Huntington. He served the church one year in Africa as a missionary, and is a man of high standing in the councils of the church. Besides Elijah there were three sisters, one being Martha Ann, wife of Rev. Ephram W. Hammon, M. D., of Indianapolis, paster of the Disciple church; Ina Belle, the wife of Eli Paul, of Chicago; and Mary Jane, wife of Edd McBryan, a manufacturer of Anderson, Indiana.
Elijah Morrison's boyhood was passed on the farm where his father had settled and where he was born. Upon the attainment of his majority he was married to Miss Rebecca J. Miller, daugher of Joseph and Nancy (Jones) Miller, her grandfather being a well known pioneer hunter and trapper and a brother of Samuel Jones, the pioneer of Warren. Elijah continued to operate the old homestead until after the death of his father and the estate was settled, when he secured an adjoining farm, where he resided until three years since, when he came to Warren. He had devoted the best energies of his life to the improvement of that farmn, erecting a substantial and convenient class of farm buildings, laying a vast amount of underground drainage, and making a first-class, modern, up-to-date farm. The tract lying in the bottoms of the Salamonie, the soil is most productive, heavy crops of all the usual cereals and grasses being harvested each year. The farm lying in the famous oil belt, some thirteen wells have already been sunk, the royalties from which add materially to the handsome income of the proprietor, amounting to about two thousand dollars per annum, or a total of twelve thousand dollars since operations began. This field has attracted the attention of oil operators from a wide distance, there being hundreds of wells already placed, the arrangement being to have one for each ten acres.
Mr. Morrison has made some investments in Warren property, from which a rental is received, though the greater part of his attention is still devoted to the farm and the various improvements constantly demanded.
While an ardent adherent of the Republican party, Mr. Morrison has never aspired to honors of a public nature, though every effort at the making of public improvements has found in him an earnest worker and advocate, the building of pike roads especially impressing him as of the greatest importance; besides assisting in the making of several public ones he has constructed a private one as well.
The Morrison family consists of five children, of whom two died in childhood, those living being Bertha, wife of William Metherell, an oil operator of Warren, being identified with the Warren Drilling Company. Frank is a student in Huntington College, having completed the home high-school course; and Osmond is in the public school.
In earlier years Mr. Morrison became much interested in the matter of vocal music. Having a good voice and a well grounded knowledge of the fundamental principles of music, he was selected as teacher to many classes, especially to benefit the music of the church. He devoted considerable attention to that end and the church at Mt. Zion, where he belonged, became noted for its many excellent vocalists. The passing years have not diminished his interest in this matter, and he still retains an active part in the worship of the church, where the entire congregation has become well drilled. Recently a new society has been organized in Warren; the old Methodist Episcopal church being remodeled and refitted was dedicated New Year's, 1899. He with two other active members from Mt. Zion, took the initiative and secured the building, had it reworked, and it was dedicated to the service of God before the society for which it was aranged was brought into existence, though soon after a healthy church of thirty members was organized and continues in a most flourishing condition, having its Sabbath-school and other essential societies. Mr. Morrison is considered by the citizens as one of the most progressive and intelligent men of the vicinity, no one holding the esteem of all to a greater extent or whose worth is more generally acknowledged.