From History of Huntington County, 1887, pages 826-828
Leander Morrison, deceased, is a man worthy of mention in this volume. For over forty-eight years he was identified with Salamonie Township and its development. His parents, Andrew and Martha (Mitchell) Morrison, were natives of North Carolina. When young they removed to Kentucky, and, in 1807, from thence to Preble County, Ohio, where Leander was reared amid the hardships of farm life. By attending the district schools he received a fair education, and before he arrived at his maturity he had learned the carpenter's trade. He was a poor boy, and, in 1832, having heard of the advantages offered to men of small means in this country, resolved to come west and cast his lot with the pioneers and secure a home. He landed in this township before a clearing of any kind had been made, and entered land in Section 33. He returned to his home in Ohio, and remained until the fall of 1833, when he accompanied his uncle, Fleming Mitchell, to this township, who settled on the Salamonie, a short distance above the present site of Warren. Mr. Mitchell conceived the idea of erecting a mill, and our subject assisted him in the work. By the fall of 1834 they had a saw mill in running order, and by the close of 1835 were prepared to grind corn. On February 26, 1835, Mr. Morrison was united in marriage with Miss Matilda Jones, daughter of Samuel Jones, the first settler of Salamonie Township. They began life together in a rude log cabin erected in the midst of a dense forest on the tract of land entered by Mr. Morrison, and still owned by Mrs. Morrison and children. It seemed like an endless task to succeed in making a home in this, then wild and desolate country, and the trials and hardships of the sturdy pioneer, who came here with his ax and rifle, and spent the best part of his life in developing the country, are scarcely realized by the present generation. Days, months and years were spent by them in making the beautiful homes found all over this country. Mr. Morrison was elected Justice of the Peace of Huntington County in April, 1837, and the family to day holds the commission he received from Gov. Noble, dated April 18, 1837. His term of office lasted five years. After a long and useful life, in which he won the good will and respect of all, he was called home February 13, 1881. A loving wife and six children survived him. The entire family consisted of seven children. Calvin, the oldest, answered his country's call, and in 1861 enlisted in Company D, Thirty-Fourth Regiment, Indiana Volunteers. While at Camp Wickliffe he took sick and passed away, far from friends and relatives. William Ray, a near neighbor of the Morrisons, had gone to Camp Wickliffe to bring home the body of his son, who had died there. On his arrival he noticed Calvin's life was ebbing away, and concluded to await his death and bring his body with his son's. Mr. Ray arrived in Warren with the remains of the two dead heroes, and the news was carried to the family of Mr. Morrison to come and get the remains of their son. It was a severe shock to the grieved ones, who had a few months before bid God-speed to the light-hearted youth. The other children were Nancy, Martha A., Sarah L., Samuel L., John A. and Louis M., all of whom are residing within a radius of fifteen miles of their old home. The marriage of their parents was the first solemnized in Salamonie Township. Mrs. Morrison continues to reside on the old homestead. She is over seventy-one years of age, being born in Ashland County, Ohio, March 7, 1816. She has resided in this township ever since white settlers first came, and is in good health to-day. Her father, Samuel Jones, was a kind father and benevolent man, but had strong political convictions, which prompted him in an unguarded moment to disinherit two of his children on account of their differing from him politically--they were Mrs. Morrison and Mrs. Pulse. Those two daughters were married to strong Union men, and, as stated, Mrs. Morrison sacrificed a son on her country's altar, which, of itself, was sufficient to cause her to denounce the Confederate cause and its sympathizers. Owing to her political views her father entirely ignored her in his will, but to-day, like a true and honorable child, she reverences his name, and will not permit the amount of a few paltry dollars, which she had worked so hard in her youth to make, destroy the love she cherished for him. She resides with her son, Louis M. Morrison, a prominent farmer and stock raiser. He was born on the old home place, where he now resides, May 2, 1853. His entire life has been spent on the farm, and he has adopted farming as a life occupation. On Septmeber 21, 1881, he was married to Miss Rosa A. Ernst, daughter of John and Mary (Ziegler) Ernst, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. Her paternal ancestors came from Germany. She was born in Ashland County, Ohio, October 27, 1860, and in 1863 her parents emigrated to Wells County, Ind., where, by attending the district schools, she received an education sufficient to enable her to teach a number of terms successfully in our public schools. This union is blessed with these children, namely: Sarah E. and Carrie B. In 1884 Mr. Morrison began breeding and raising fine Short Horn cattle and Poland China hogs. The firm is known as Morrison & Elliott, fine stock breeders, and possesses some of the finest registered stock in the country, on which they have received premiums wherever they have competed. Mr. Morrison upholds the principles of the Republican party and is one of the coming young business men of country. (sic) He is in comfortable ciucumstances, surrounded by all the conveniences found on a well regulated farm.