"History of Huntington Co., IN" (Brant&Fuller:Chicago) 1887. See entry for James P. Wire from p. 688/9 from this source, entered 30 May 1999. From same source:
p. 334 Early Entries (for land) Peter Wire, 11 Sep 1834 in Jefferson Township.
p. 669 Jefferson Township. "It is not positive who came next" [after George W. Helms who settled winter of , "but among those who followed close in the wake of Mr. Helms, was Peter Wire, who moved from Ohio early in the thirties and settled in Section 3, choosing for his home the place owned at this time by his son, James P. Wire. He was a man of local prominence, took an active interest in politics and in an early day served a term as County Commissioner. He was an honored resident of the township until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1882."
p. 672 "The first hewed log house in the township was built by Peter Wire in 1840."
p. 673 "The United Brethren circuit riders, were the fore runners of Christianity in the wilderness of this part of the country, and as early as 1837, Rev. Mr. Pugsley of that denomination, conducted religious worship in the cabin of Peter Wire."
p. 674 "The first birth in the township was that of Lavina, daughter of Peter and Nancy Wire, born March 4, 1836."
p. 792 Salamonie Township "Among those who came that year" ....Peter Wire." Mr. Wire removed to Jefferson Township before the close of that year, and was among the earliest residents of that locality.