From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 716-717
A substantial and enterprising agriculturist of Huntington county, Indiana, was born in Rock Creek township, where he now lives, July 17, 1846. His parents were Mahlon D. and Thallie (Sering) Ewart, old and respected residents of this community, whose gentle natures and noble lives endeared them to all who knew them. Mahlon Ewart was born in Butler county, Ohio, and when a mere boy came with his father, David Ewart, to Franklin county, Indiana, where they lived until the death of David Ewart, in 1830. Mahlon was one of eight children, seven sons and one daughter, only one of whom is living at this time, David, a resident of Newton, Fountain county, Indiana. Arriving at manhood, Mahlon Ewart was married to Miss Thallie Sering, a native of Franklin county,and in 1836 they moved to Huntington county and settled in Jefferson township. They resided there until 1842, came to Rock Creek township and lived on a farm for fifty years, then moved to Warren, where they remained about five years, when they again took up their residence in the country on the farm now occupied by the subject of this biography. They lived to good old ages, the father dying December 30, 1892, and the mother August 26, 1899. Their family was composed of four children, namely: Hannah, who passed away in 1870, married Joseph Dehaven, of this township; Theodore, whose memoirs are here given; David O., a farmer of this community; and Silas, for many years a teacher, who died in December, 1878.
Theodore Ewart received an education similar to that of most boys of his day, attending the common schools during their short terms each winter after the crops were harvested and stowed away. He was brought up to do farm work and had a liking for agriculture, which led him to choose that as his vocation. He first farmed in Jefferson township for about six years, returned home and was there for about the same length of time, and then took another farm in the vicinity. In 1888 he purchased the eighty acres on which he now resides. This was formerly the Jasper Broom farm, and is a rich, fertile piece of land, which is cultivated by Mr. Ewart and brings him ample returns for his labor. He has since purchased an additional eighty in Rock Creek township, and now has about one hundred and twenty acres under cultivation. He carries on general farming and is one of the most prosperous farmers in this section, who brings science to the aid of agricultural art in coaxing large yields from his well-kept acres.
One November 17, 1869, Mr. Ewart was joined in wedlock to Miss Caroline Furst, who died August 12, 1875. May 17, 1881, he was again married, the bride being Miss Mary C. Redding. Death again entered the home circle, taking the beloved wife on August 1, 1892. His present wife was Miss Nancy M. Redding, daughter of John Redding, who was one of the earliest settlers of this township. Two offspring were the fruits of this first union: James W., a farmer of Oklahoma, who married Miss Sara Bell and has one child, Inez; and Alpheus, who resides in Warren, and married Miss Smith, by whom he has two children, Harry C. and Hazel. Mr. Ewart is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a liberal contributor to the cause of religion. He is a Republican in politics, but is unobtrusive in his views and takes little part in discussion on the subject.