Francis M. Clawson, boot and shoe and queensware merchant at Andrews, has been engaged in the mercantile business almost continually since 1867. He is a native of Preble County, Ohio, where he was born, October 11, 1839, being the twelfth in a family of twelve children, born to Samuel and Mary (Lewis) Clawson, who were also natives of Preble County. They emigrated to Indiana and Grant County, about 1846. They continued residents of that county about three years, when they lived for a time in Wabash County, thence removing to Tipton, from where they returned to Wabash, where the former died in 1851; his widow married again after the latter’s death. She died in 1876, while on a visit to her son in Indianapolis. She had made her home for some years prior to her death with our subject. At the early age of twelve, when his father died, Mr. Clawson was cast upon his own resources. He worked as a farm hand until he attained the age of eighteen, when he engaged to learn the painter’s trade, which he followed until 1861, when he entered the service of his country, enlisting in Company F, Thirteenth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served for three years. During this period he was present at all the engagements in which his regiment participated, and was wounded at the battle of Foster’s Farm, near Petersburg, May 20, 1864. He was then sent to the hospital, and when he recovered sufficiently to travel returned home and organized a company known as Company B, One Hundred and Fifty-Third Regiment, he being mustered as First Lieutenant, then serving until the close of the war. He was honorably discharged at Louisville. April 17, 1876, his marriage with Martha Sayler was solemnized. He had removed to what was then Antioch in 1860, and where he has since, with the exception of seven years, from 1873 until 1880, when he was engaged in the mercantile business at Peru, made his home. From a business point of view he has been very successful. He has a fine store and enjoys a good renumerative trade. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, he is a Republican, and held the position of Postmaster from 1866 up to and inclusive of the year 1868.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Dallas Township, p. 618/9.