John W. Surran, proprietor of the Warren Weekly News, is a native of Carroll County, Ind., where he was born February 19, 1849. John and Elizabeth (Haney) Surran, were his parents. The former was a prominent minister in the United Brethren Church, and assisted in organizing the St. Joseph Conference, and is the only member now living who was present at the time of the organization of the conference. He now resides in Marion County, Michigan, where he has lived since 1856. John was seven years of age when his parents removed to Michigan, and spent his boyhood and youth in that State. He was a close student and acquired a good education in the common schools of Michigan. In 1868, he entered the Western College of Iowa, and completed the scientific course, graduating from that institution in 1873. He then returned to Michigan and was engaged for a while in teaching. In the fall of 1874, he resolved to take a law course in the University of Michigan, and remained in that college until the spring of 1875, when he was selected as a teacher in the “Roanoke Seminary” of Roanoke, this county. After the close of this term of school he entered the law office of Sayler & Kenner, of Huntington, and remained with this firm until April, 1877, during the last year of which time he served as local editor on the Huntington Democrat. In the fall of 1877, he began to read law under Judge Everett, of Elkhart, Ind., where he remained until August of 1878. While in Elkhart, he and Edward Curtis established Elkhart Daily News, but soon disposed of his interest. On September 16, 1878, he came to Warren and established the Warren Weekly News, a neat four page seven column folio independent paper. The first issue was December 5, 1878. The News has been under his management ever since, and has proven a successful enterprise. The circulation is increasing rapidly and compares favorably with any weekly paper published in Huntington County. On December 19, 1881, the News office was destroyed by fire, causing what might be termed a total loss, but in six weeks the subscribers were again receiving the News, which has been a welcome visitor every week since. The office is provided with an improved Taylor power press, and a Peerless job press, and is prepared to do any kind of job work furnished in any well regulated office. On September 4, 1886, Mr. Surran married Miss Sarah A. Irwin, a native of this County. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. order and a self-made man.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Salamonie Township, p. 837/8.