Thomas Crandel, M.D., physician and surgeon, of Kelso, is a native of Indiana, born in Fayette County, June 7, 1838, the eldest son of Michael and Sarah (Londenback) Crandel. The father and mother about the year of 1849, or 1850, moved to Huntington County and settled near Warren, Salamonie Township, where the former’s death occurred in 1870. The mother is still living, being at this time a resident of the town of Warren. Thomas Crandel received a good common school education and remained under the parental roof until the age of twenty-one, assisting his father on the farm in the meantime. After a few months spent with his father in the capacity of a farm laborer he accepted a position as teacher in the public schools and was thus engaged in Salamonie and Jefferson Townships until the breaking out of the great Civil War, when he exchanged the quiet duties of instructor for the more active and arduous duties of the soldier. August 28, 1861, he was mustered into service as a member of Company C, Thirty-Fourth Indiana Infantry with which he served for a period of nearly five years, participating in a number of active campaigns and bloody battles during that period. At the battle of Thompson Hills, Tex., he was the victim of a mishap caused by the action of a comrade in firing a gun close to his ear, causing a partial deafness from which he has never fully recovered. At the expiration of his term of service, February 3, 1866, Dr. Crandel returned home and for some time thereafter was engaged in teaching, which he subsequently abandoned for the medical profession, beginning the study of the latter under Dr. Yingling, of Huntington. On completing his preliminary reading he entered the Eclectic Medical Institute, at Cincinnati, from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1869. After graduation he at once engaged in the active practice of his profession, which he now carries on in connection with the drug and retail grocery business at the town of Kelso. In addition to his mercantile interest the Doctor owns a fine farm of 136 acres in Salamonie Township and a smaller one in Wells County, both of which are substantially improved and well cultivated. He is a member of Majenica Lodge, No. 563, F. & A. M., and also belongs to Monroe Laymon Post, No. 211, G. A. R. He is a member of the Methodist Church, as is also his wife, and in politics votes with the Republican party. He was married February 21, 1869, to Miss Hannah M. Morgan, of Franklin County, Ind.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Lancaster Township, p. 705.