Hiram Brown, a leading furniture dealer of Warren, and one of the few pioneers left to tell the story of life in the woods on the Salamonie, was born in Cumberland County, N.J., February 17, 1829. His parents were Jason and Mary (Black) Brown, both natives of New Jersey. The former of English and the latter of Irish descent. When Hiram was two years of age his parents emigrated from New Jersey to Ohio, crossing the mountains to Pittsburg, Penn., with a team. There his father purchased a flat boat, put his family and goods into it, and floated down the Ohio River, to Cincinnati, Ohio. From thence he moved to Franklin County, Ind. This was in 1831, and in 1837 he removed his family to Grant County, this State, and in 1841, he came to Huntington County, and located in Salamonie Township. Here Hiram spent his boyhood and youth amid the wild scenes of pioneer days. Owing to the scarcity of schools he only received a fair education. When fifteen years of age he was engaged to carry the mail between Huntington and Muncie, and at sixteen was apprenticed to learn the carpenter’s trade, which he completed in 1848, and followed that occupation for a number of years. On October 9, 1853, he was married to Mary Jane McGrew, the daughter of Noah, and Elizabeth (Thompson) McGrew. Mary J. was the first white child born in Salamonie Township, her birth occurring April 5, 1834. Her entire life has been spent here, and many are the changes she has witnessed. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have had born to them five children, two infants who died with naming. Alda M., Ira F. and Hiram J. On December 4, 1863, Mr. Brown answered to his country’s call by enlisting in Company A, Thirteenth Indiana Cavalry, under command of Capt Isaac DeLong. His company was ordered to join the Army of the Cumberland, thence to Mobile, and took part in the following engagements: the Battle of Nashville, Siege of Mobile. In 1874, he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in Warren, and by honest and fair dealing, has built up a thriving business. He began life empty handed and by careful management has accumulated considerable property. The fire fiend visited him in 1881, and wiped out about $4,000 worth of property for the firm, but he immediately rebuilt and is once more on the road to prosperity. His esteemed wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the F. & A. M. order and also a member of Monroe Laymon Post, No. 211, G.A.R. He advocates the principles of the Republican party, and is at present Commander of Monroe Laymon Post, No. 211, G. A. R.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Salamonie Township, p. 801/2.