From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 437-438
John Lemon Priddy, banker at Warren, is numbered among the well-known citiaens of the county where he has passed all the years of his life.
James Waters Priddy, the father of our subject, was a native of Indiana, his birth occurring near Connersville, July 3, 1821, and his early life was passed in Rush county, where he attended the pioneer subscription school and aided his father in clearing and otherwise improving a farm. When he was in his twentieth year the family removed to Huntington county, and its members are numbered among the pioneers of 1841. The family settled on a tract of unimproved land near the then small village of Warren, and some of this land is now within the city limits of Warren. Here a farm was made and large crops harvested for some years.
James W. Priddy in early life learned the trade of shoemaking, and for many years devoted his time to the same and gained an enviable reputation as a workman. January 21, 1845, he was married to Lydia E., daughter of Samuel and Abbie (Mathias) Irwin, who was born in Guilford county, North Carolina, January 28, 1821, and came with her parents to Indiana about 1836. Her father was a native of South Carolina, and served as a soldier in the war of 1812. Soon after marriage James W. Priddy and his young wife purchased eighty acres of timber land in Salamonie township, and there carved out a home. It required much hard labor to remove the heavy timber, dig out the stumps and transform the land into a well-improved, productive and valuable farm; but all this was accomplished by Mr. Priddy, and when death claimed him he left an unincumbered estate. He was an honored, upright citizen, and a member of the Salem church, of which he was many years trustee, and was recognized as an exemplary Christian man. His death occurred June 2, 1882, and Mrs. Priddy died October 18, 1889. Of their family of seven children, six are now living and are recognized as among the respectable and substantial citizens of the state. Mary E. is the wife of David T. Matlack, of Wells county; Sara E. is the wife of William Loudonback, of Grant county; Thomas A. is a master mechanic of Alexandria; Asenath A. married Henry F. Stroup, dying soon afterward; Samuel L., residing on the old homestead; and William E. is a foreman for the Thompson Ice Cream Company of Huntington.
James W. Priddy was a Democrat of the old Jacksonian type, though he never let aspirations for political office interfere with his business relations. He was one of the original members of the Salem Methodist church, which stands near his old home and of which he was an official during the greater part of an active and honored life. His interest in all that tended to advance the community was more especially noticeable in securing the maintenance of schools, realizing that upon substantial and liberal education rests perpetuity of all our institutions.
John Lemon Priddy was born September 24, 1860, remaining upon the home farm until the death of his father, though in addition to the country schools he had attended a select school at Warren as well as the summer normal school at Bluffton, which enabled him to become a teacher, supplementing that training with attendance at the Danville Normal School, where he graduated in the commercial course. His teaching was largely in the country schools of this neighborhood and during the winter seasons, the summers being passed upon the farm. In addition he worked at the carpenter's trade, devoting a part of the five years to this work until 1887, when for three years he, with H. W. Roush, under the name of Priddy & Roush, then Priddy Brothers, conducted a restaurant in Warren; then, in company with Albert Cole, under the firm name of Cole & Priddy, he carried on for five years a successful drug trade, from which business he entered the bank as bookkeeper in 1895. In 1898, one year before the death of Mr. Good, he was promoted to the position of cashier, and since that time his attention has been wholly devoted to the details of the banking business.
He was married September 24, 1889, to Miss Julia M., the youngest living of three children born to Samuel L. Good. Mrs. Priddy is a member of the Christian church. They are the parents of three children: Everett S., Agnes Mary and Lucille Ruth. Besides his banking business, he operates a one-hundred-and-ninety-acre farm, upon which he breeds a large flock of sheep, keeping about one hundred ewes.
Mr. Priddy is a Mason, holding membership in the Knights Templar at Bluffton. He has been especially active in the work of the blue lodge, having just passed from the east and having served as a delegate to the grand lodge three different times. His work in Artesian Lodge, No. 388, Knights of Pythias, has been crowned with credit and honor, that body having sent him as representative to the grand lodge. Mr. Priddy is one of the genial, companionable and agreeable citizens of Warren whose spirit of enterprise and accommodation have won for him and the institution which he represents a circle of friends limited only to the extent of a wide acquaintance.