From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901
One of the substantial and influential farmers of Huntington county, Indiana, was born on the farm now occupied by him, the old Morrsion homestead, May 2, 1853. He is a son of Leander and Matilda (Jones) Morrison, both prominent pioneers of this county, who held honored places in the affections of those who knew them. Few people have taken a deeper interest or done more for the advancement of this community than Leander Morrison and his wife. Both have been residents of Huntington county since its first days and are so closely identified with the early life and history of the place as to become almost inseparable from it. Leander Morrison was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, November 7, 1806, and was a son of Andrew B. and Martha (Mitchell) Morrison, the former born July 18, 1780, and the latter September 25, 1786, in North Carolina. Leander Morrison came to Indiana with an uncle, Fleming Mitchell, in 1833, and entered a large tract of land in Huntingon county, and he at once set about clearing therefrom the dense growth of timber and underbrush with which it was covered. He was a carpenter by trade, and had the contract for the construction of the first mill in Warren, about one mile south of the town. He was an industrious man and allowed himself but few idle moments, employing his time in whatever promised the best returns, whether it was carpentering, operating a saw-mill or farming, although the latter occupation was carried on almost constantly by him until his death. He owned one hundred and thirteen acres in Huntington and seventy-two in Wells county, the latter being the home of his widow. He was public spirited, and worked hard for the promotion of the public good. In 1837 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace and served until 1842, besides filling a number of other offices of trust. He was a man of magnetic personality, exerted a power for good in the community and was held in the highest respect.
He was married February 26, 1835, to Miss Matilda, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Ruse) Jones, a native of Highland county, Ohio, where she was born March 7, 1816. When she was a child of about nine years her parents moved from Ohio to Indiana, and were for a time residents of Brown county, coming to Huntington county in 1833. At that time the county was but sparsely settled and the village of Warren was undreamed of, the log tavern built by Samuel Jones being the first residence and was the nucleaus of the present prosperous town. A family of seven children were born to Leander and Matilda Morrison, viz: Calvin, who enlisted in Company D, Thirty-fourth Indiana Regiment, who died in Camp Wickliffe; Nancy, who is unmarried and resides with her mother on the farm in Wells county; Martha, wife of Captain D. L. Elliott, the postmaster of Warren, who is represented elsewhere in this volume; Sarah L., who married Dr. Charles Mason, of Hartford City; Samuel L., who married Brazilla Good, and is a prominent farmer of Salamonie township; Dr. John A., who married Sarah C. Spake, is a physician by profession and a farmer by occupation, residing near Twin Bridges, in Wells county, this state; and Lewis M., the subject of this biography. Leander Morrison passed to his reward February 13, 1881, and was laid to rest beneath the spreading branches of Good's cemetery.
Lewis M. Morrison was educated in the common schools, receiving a practical knowledge which has well fitted him for the sterner duties of life. He remained at home and assisted in caring for the farm, upon which he still resides and which is endeared to him by innumerable tender memories. Having grown up to the work, he has become one of the best farmers in the county, and has met with great success. He carries on general farming, and gained quite a reputation in former years as a breeder of short-horn cattle. He is strictly up to date in his methods, and keeps his premises in first-class condition, making them attractive to the eye and remunerative to the owner. Politically he casts his vote with the Populists. He was made a Mason in the Blue Lodge of Warren, No. 246, and takes great pleasure in the work of the order.
On September 21, 1881, Mr. Morrison was joined in marriage with Miss Rose A. Ernst, of Wells county, the nuptials (sic) being solemized (sic) at Liberty Center. Her parents were John and Mary Ellen (Ziegler) Ernst, who came from Ohio to Wells county, Indiana, where they engaged in farming. Mrs. Morrison died January 13, 1891, leaving four children, as follows: Sarah Elizabeth, who was born July 27, 1883; Carrie B., born August 29, 1885; Leander J., born February 19, 1887; and Leon Pearl, who was born July 13, 1889, and died May 17 of the following year. January 6, 1894, Mr. Morrison was married to Miss Lavina E. Eckhart, of Liberty Center. Her parents, Grafton and Priscilla (Mathies) Eckhart were from Hocking county, Ohio, and in 1883 came to Wells county, locating in Liberty Center, where he continued his farming operations. His wife died September 8, 1894.
Mrs. Morrison is a lady of education and refinement and makes friends of all who come within the radius of her magnetic influence. She was formerly a successful teacher in Wells county, having been thus employed seventeen terms. She is kind hearted and helpful to others, and as a member of the Methodist church endeavors to live up to her faith. She has presented her husband with an interesting family of three children: Ruth Winifred, born February 13, 1895; Raymond Ruskin, born May 3, 1896; and Virgil Independence, born July 4, 1898. They are among the most prominent and popular families in the township, and move in the highest social circles. Mr. Morrison is of a genial, fun-loving disposition, which makes him a favorite everywhere, and his presence is sure to scatter despondency to the four winds.