From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington county, 1901
Samuel L. Morrison was born January 8, 1847, on the old Morrison homestead in Salamonie township, Huntington county, Indiana, and is one of the representative men of this section of the state. He is a descendant of one of the old and respected families who settled here in the early times and made the first steps toward the development of the country's resources. His immediate ancestors were Leander and Matilda (Jones) Morrison, both of whom were prominent citizens of this community and highly honored. Leander Morrison, the father, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, November 7, 1806, and after a long and useful life was called to meet his maker on February 13, 1880. He came to Huntington county in 1833, and for almost half a century was closely identified with the growth and prosperity of the county and one of its most industrious and prominent citizens. He was a large landowner and farmed on an extensive scale, and also operated a mill for a number of years. His wife was the daughter of Samuel Jones, whose tavern was the first structure erected in what was afterward the village of Warren. Samuel L. Morrison was one of seven children born to this couple, viz: Calvin, deceased; Nancy, who is unmarried and lives with her widowed mother; Martha, now Mrs. D. L. Elliott; Sarah L., wife of Dr. C. R. Mason, of Hartford; Samuel, our subject; Dr. John A., a physician of Wells county, this state; and Lewis M. Mrs. Morrison now resides on a tract of land adjoining that entered by her husband.
Samuel L. Morrison worked at home on the farm until his twenty-third year, when he was united in marriage on April 17, 1870, to Miss B. Good, whose parents, John and Leah (Holt) Good, were residents of Jackson township, Wells county, Indiana. The father of Mrs. Samuel L. Morrison was a native of Ohio, while her mother was from Pennsylvania. They located in Jackson township in 1856, and remained there two years, when he was taken with the California fever and started for that state. There he farmed, taught school and served as justice of the peace, but the conditions did not meet his expectations and he returned to Indiana about 1858-9 and engaged in farming and operating a saw-mill in Salamonie township, where he remined (sic) until about 1869, when he moved to Jackson township, and there lived until his death, January 27, 1891. His widow resides in Dillman Indiana, and is the mother of twelve children, eight of whom are living. Five children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Morrison, viz: Charles Lewis was born in 1871, passed away July 15, 1891; Frank Wayne, a driller in the oil fields and now residing in Warren, married Miss Hattie Rogers and they have one child, Edward L., who was born March 11, 1900; Rosa May married John Albert Holwick, a Bostonian, now residing in Marietta, Ohio, engaged as a driller, by whom she had one child, Darwin, who died January 5, 1897; William Calvin, a tool dresser in the oil fields; and Martha M., who resides at home.
After his marriage Mr. Morrison farmed for three years in section 34, and then moved to the old homestead, where he remained until 1880, thence to his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which he purchased January 12 of that year. This had been the farm of Mr. Foust and he had previously purchased, on September 9, 1875, the one hundred and twenty acres comprising the Stanback property, making him all told, one hundred and sixty acres. This property was only partially improved, the house being a log cabin, which has given way to a substantial modern residence with improvements of a suitable nature. Tile has been placed every eight rods, and the whole property is now under cultivation and beautified until it would be hard to recognize it as land which at one time was wooded and untillable and covered with water. One of the special features of his farm especially worthy of mention is the fine lot of Poland-China hogs which he raises, his pens being noted for the fine specimens there found. Another feature which promises to prove a rich one is the oil industry. He has five oil wells on his farm, which yield a good flow and afford a neat income.
Mr. Morrison is a member of Mt. Zion Lodge, No. 684, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife is an earnest worker in the Methodist Episcopal church of Salamonie township. He is not a person to force his views on another, but is nevertheless decided in his own mind on what is the right and wrong of a question. He is thoroughly posted on the current topics of the day, and can give good reasons for his opinions. He has never dabbled with politics, but is a supporter of the Populist party and believes in applying the old maxim of "the greatest good to the greatest number" on all public questions.
Mr. Morrison's father was one of the first county commissioners of Huntington county. Mr. S. L. Morrison was the first county chairman of the Populist party, and has so served ever since its organization. He called the first Populist convention when he did not know there was another Populist in the county.