Abraham B Shideler--The gentleman whose names introduces this biography, is a native of Wayne Co., IN, born October 12, 1843, to Joans and Fannie (Berg) Shideler, natives respectively of OH and PA. He grew to manhood in Lancaster Township, Huntington Co., his parents moving here when he was quite young, and in the common schools received an education, which though not of a high scholastic order, has enabled him to successfully discharge the duties of a very active business life. At an early age he commenced with John W. Burns to learn the blacksmith's trade, and has since continued with the same gratifying sucess, being at this time the proprietor of a shop at the village of New Lancaster, where he is doing a very prosperous business. Upon the breaking out of the war, when but little more than 17 years of age, with the spirit that actuated the movements of young men and old throughout the entire North, he volunteered in the service of his country, to do battle for the maintenance of her rights. He responded to the first call for troops, enlisting in the 34th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until honorably discharged, his period of service amounting to four and a half years. Mr. Shideler was married June 17, 1866, to Miss Esther Burris, of Preble Co., OH, a union blessed with the birth of four children, two of whom, Minnie B. and Tennis E., are living, the former born August 31, 1868, and the later on the 27th day of February, 1879. Mr. Shideler is a stauch Republican in politics, and, in November,1886 was elected by his parter a member of the Board of County Commissioners. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Church, belonging to the New Lancaster congregation.
p. 723/4 Lancaster Township Biosketches. "History of Huntington Co., IN" (Brant&Fuller:Chicago) 1887.