From the "History of Huntington County, 1914", page 663
Thomas W. Burton
A son of the South, where he spent the early years of his life, Thomas W. Burton has been a resident of Huntington county since 1905, and through industry and energetic effort has become one of the substantial citizens of Salamonie township. His activities have been devoted to agricultural pursuits, and his success has been self-gained, for he embarked upon his career with only determination and ambition as his capital. Mr. Burton was born in Yancey county, North Carolina, March 22, 1867, and is a son of John W. and Sophronia (Ballew) Burton, both now deceased. The parents of Mr. Burton had a family of nine children, of whom seven survive, and all now reside in the South with the exception of Thomas W.
Thomas W. Burton was reared on his father's plantation in his native county, and received a good common school education. He was brought up an agriculturist and when he was ready to embark upon a career and establish a home of his own he adopted the tilling of the soil as his life work. He secured a piece of property in his native county, and there continued to carry on operations until 1905, in which lie left the Old North state to come to Indiana. For one year Mr. Burton rented land while he sought a suitable location, and then purchased a sixty-acre tract one-half mile east and two miles north of Warren, which is now his home. He carries on general farming, and has made a decided success of his ventures, his standing among the farmers of his locality being high. Although he is practical and methodical in his work, he is a firm believer in the use of modern methods and machinery, and his equipment is the best to be secured. Each year finds him making new improvements on his land and his buildings, and he is constantly adding to his stock and his implements. In view of the difference in climatic and soil conditions, Mr. Burton's achievements have been most commendable, and it is doubtful if many men could have scored a success in a new community in such a short period of time. He is a man of wide information, both in his chosen calling and on other subjects, and is a close student of subjects of public importance. Formerly a republican, while still a resident or his native state he served for some time as postmaster at Ball Creek, but in the fall of 1912 he decided to cast his support with the new progressive party, which he has continued to vote. He has shown himself willing to cooperate with others in his adopted community in forwarding beneficial measures. Mr. Burton is interested in Masonry, and has numerous friends among his fellow members in King Lodge No, 246, F. & A. M., and Bluffton Chapter No. 95, R. A. M. With his family, he is connected with the Methodist Episcopal church at Warren.
On September 22, 1897, Mr. Burton was United in marriage with Miss Josephine Welborn, daughter of the Rev. J. M. Welborn, a minister of the Methodist church. She was born and reared in the same part of North Carolina as was her husband, and, like him, received a good common school education. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Burton, namely: John Earl, a graduate of the common schools and now attending Warren High school; Gladys O., who also attends the high school; Ted, who is a graded school student, and Claud N., the baby, six years old.