Patrick Oâ€™Brien, a pioneer of Huntington County, and one of the venerable citizens of the City of Huntington, is a native of Ireland. His birth occurred March 20, 1826, being the fourth child and only son born to William and Mary (Brady) Oâ€™Brien, who emigrated to America and to Huntington in 1854. Here their deaths occurred, the former in the spring of 1865 at the age of eighty, and the latter in about the year 1872, at the age of ninety-two. The subject of this sketch had preceded his parents in emigrating to this country--he having come in 1849. He first found employment on public works in the State of New York. He naturally drifted westward and in the fall of 1850 he found himself in Huntington County. In February, 1851, he became employed on the Indianapolis & Peru Railway which was then in course of construction. He acted in the capacities of superintendent of works and as civil engineer. During the latter part of 1851 and in 1852 he superintended the construction of the Huntington and Liberty Mills Plank Road, which was built through Huntington, Whitley and Wabash Counties. In the fall of 1852, he again became employed on the I. & P. Railway and thus continued until the road was completed in 1853. He then became employed on the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, and thus continued until two years after its completion, or in 1857. For some months thereafter he participated in the location of the Tiffin, Fort Wayne & Western Railroad. After participating in the construction of portions of that road, he in the fall of 1859, returned to Huntington. In 1860 he was employed as boss of repairs on the 2d division of the Wabash & Erie Canal, and continued in this way some five or six years. He was then commissioned as Superintendent and Paymaster upon that divisionâ€”a position he retained until the spring of 1874. In the meantime, in the fall of 1873, upon the incorporation of Huntington as a city, he was elected a Councilman from First Ward. He was elected Treasurer of the city without political opposition, in the spring of 1874, and was in the same manner, re-elected in the spring of 1876. His appointment as City Civil Engineer occurred in the spring of 1874. This position he has filled in a very creditable manner ever since. In 1877, he was appointed by the commissioners of the county to locate and prepare plans for the construction of a number of free gravel roads that were built during the years 1877, 1878 and 1879. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Huntington-City and Township, p. 523 and 524.