Rev. Lawrence Berry Smith, Pastor of the Christian Church of the City of Huntington, was bon in Coshocton County, Ohio, June 20, 1834, being the only son born to Jeremiah C. and Mary (Durbin) Smith, the former a native of New Haven, Conn., of English descent, and the latter a native of Cadiz, Ohio, of Scotch descent. His paternal grandparents were Amos and Laura (Platt) Smith, both natives of Connecticut. His paternal ancestry originally came from London, England, and were among the crew of the Mayflower, in 1620. His maternal grandparents were Lawrence and Eleanor (Arnold) Durbin, both natives of Scotland. The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood and early youth in his native county, during the most of which time he worked upon a farm. He attended the district school, in which by the time he reached the age of thirteen he had received sufficient education to teach school, which he did during the winter before his fourteenth birthday. He continued to teach for some ten or twelve years, but during a few of the first summers he attended an academyâ€”completing a course of instruction in an institution of that kind. At the age of twenty-one he was elected a justice of the peace in Fulton County, Ohio, where he had gone in 1854. He served three years. In the meantime he had engaged in merchandising, having begun at Oxford, in 1853. His attention was directed to this more or less for sixteen years. About 1857, he turned his attention to the ministry of the Christian Church. His attention, however, was divided for a number of years between the ministry and merchandising. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Co. H, One Hundredth Ohio Regiment. Was entered as Captain, in which rank he served until December, 1862, when he resigned. In 1863, he was commissioned Major, in the Seventy-Fifth Battalion, O.N.G., and in 1864, was commissioned Colonel of the Second Regiment Militia, of Fulton County, Ohio. In August, 1866, he came to Huntington, where he has resided continually ever since. Since that time his exclusive attention has been given to the ministry. He has now been pastor of the Christian Church of this city, over twenty years. He was married September 10, 1853, to Livona A. Jewell, a native of Wayne County, Ohio, born, of English descent, November 25, 1834. She was the daughter of William and Rachel (Jones) Jewell, both natives of Pennsylvania. Her paternal grandparents were William and Nancy (Jones) Jewell. Rev. Smith and wife are the parents of six children, three of whom died in infancy. Those living are DeEtta O., Nelson B. and Ernest D. Politically our subject is a Republican. He is an earnest worker in the cause of Christianity, and a worthy and honored citizen.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago, IL) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Huntington-City and Township, p. 543 and 544.