From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 321-323
Dr. Edward T. Young, a retired physician and prominent citizen of Huntington county, Indiana, resides on a fine farm in Jefferson township and is regarded as excellent authority on all agricultural subjects as well as medical. He was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, December 14, 1827, his parents being Edward and Rachel (Miller) Young, the former of Irish and the latter of German ancestry. The father went to Ohio at a very early day and settled in Fairfield county, where he bought a farm upon which he lived the remainder of his life. Both parents reached a good old age, such as is attained by few, the father passing away at the age of eighty-one, and the mother at the still more advanced age of ninety-seven years. Their family consisted of ten children, namely: David, Margaret, John, James, William, Enos, Thomas, Elizabeth, Mary, and Edward T.
Edward T. Young spent a childhood similar to that of most country boys, helping with the duties of the farm and attending the schools which were held in the log school-house and kept up by subscription. In those days the scholars cut the wood which was used in heating the school-room and the teacher boarded 'round, staying at the home of each pupil a stated length of time. At the age of twenty-one years he rented the home farm, which he managed for two years, and in 1854, in company with a brother, Enos, he purchased four hundred and eighty acres of wild timber land in Jefferson township, Huntington county, Indiana. In addition to being covered with timber the land was all under water, but in spite of discouragement he moved his family to the property in November of that year and took up his residence on it. The distance, three hundred miles, was made by wagon, and the roads lay through the woods and were very bad to travel, nine days being required to complete the journey. A short stop was made in Warren, which at that time contained two business houses, a blacksmith shop, kept by L. C. Ewart, and a store run by Myron Smith. Reaching their "home," they quickly went to work and put up a rude log cabin, into which the family was moved. The cracks of the little cabin were chinked and the windows covered with boards in order to enable them to pass the winter there with any degree of comfort. It was a hard winter on them, but they had some money and Dr. Young at once set to work to clear the land, never for an instant entertaining the thought of returning to Ohio and giving up the project. By spring he managed to have one acre cleared and ready to plant to corn, and he continued to clear off the timber until he had a fine farm.
Dr. Young was married in the spring of 1853 to Miss Elizabeth Rhodahaver, whose parents came from Virginia to Fairfield county, Ohio, among the first settlers. Three children were born to them, two dying in infancy, while the third, Lillie M., is the wife of Isaac Smith, a farmer of Jefferson township. The wife was called to her reward in 1875, and he was united to his present wife, formerly Miss Manda J. Kindler, who was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, but had been a resident of Huntington county, Indiana, for many years. The fruits of this union was one son, Edward T., who was born in 1883. Before coming to Indiana, and before his marriage, Dr. Young had studied medicine with his uncle, Dr. Evans, and after coming to the new country he continued his studies, buying books which would assist him in the work. There was considerable sickness in the new country, such as ague, flux, typhoid fever, etc., with no physician nearer than Dr. Daniel Palmer, of Warren, and in 1856 Dr. Young began the practice of his profession. He still carries on his farming operations, but at intervals his entire time was taken up by his practice. He was uniformly successful and soon became a favorite with the people, never failing to respond promptly to any call made upon him, although he had no buggy in which to make his rounds, being compelled to go on foot or on horseback. It was no uncommon sight to see him with long swinging strides traveling the country road on his way to the residence of some fever-stricken patient. The roads were often in terrible condition and he had frequently to dismount from his horse, if mounted, and break the ice of some stream before he could cross, few of them being bridged at that time. About 1875 it was his intention to give up his practice in this neighborhood and locate in some village, but when his neighbors heard of his plan they were not at all willing to have him leave, and united in persuading him to remain and continue his practice as of old. He has remained and kept up his work until 1897, when he retired from the active duties of professional life, much to the regret of his numerous patients. He had worked up a large and extended patronage and was among the best physicians in Huntington county. His last case was one of the typhoid fever.
Dr. Young was reared in the Democratic faith, but early in life began to reason for himself and has always affiliated with the Republican party, casting his first vote with that organization. He is recognized as one of the leaders of the party in Jefferson township and was elected at one time as trustee. When he assumed control of the office there was on hand but three hundred dollars, and the record he made while an incumbent has been equaled by few financiers. Besides repairing three or four school-houses and doing other needed work in the township, he turned over to his successor two thousand three hundred and sixty dollars, a remarkably good showing. The term of school was six months, and Dr. Young had no trouble in securing first-class teachers at the rate of one dollar per day. Some of these teachers afterward became prominent in their chosen field of labor, among whom may be mentioned Professors Perry Tracy, W. K. Frazier, William Crum and D. W. Gill, all of whom taught their first term of school under Dr. Young. The Doctor and his good wife are members of the Presbyterian church at Marion, Indiana, and have the love and respect of a wide circle of admiring friends and stanch neighbors.