"History of Huntington County, Indiana"1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 674-75
Dr. Ira E. Perry. When Dr. Ira E. Perry was graduated from the Indiana Medical College in 1905 and was awarded his medical degree, he lost no time in choosing a location, but in November following he opened an office and hung out a shingle announcing his readiness to minister to the physical infirmities of his fellow beings. In the years that have passed, few though they are, confidence has not been withheld from him, and he is today recognized as a capable and conscientious physician and surgeon, than whom none in the vicinity has a better or more lucrative following. Dr. Perry has won a secure place in the esteem of his fellow townspeople, and one of which he is well worthy because of his professional attainments as well as his many excellent personal qualities.
Born in Rock Creek township, Hyton, Indiana, on January 14, 1873, Dr. Perry is a son of W. H. and Rosa (Smith) Perry, both natives of Ohio. W. H. Perry, himself a son of William Perry, was married as a young man in Ohio, and he located in Rock Creek community soon after his marriage. He was one of the youngest of his fatherâ€™s children, and was a man of sterling qualities. He served in the Civil war, and died in Rock Creek township in 1878. Two years later his wife passed away.
Ira E. Perry received his education in North Manchester, where his mother moved after the death of the husband and father. Following his public school training, which ended in his graduation from the local high school in 1891, he became a student in the North Manchester College. He fitted himself for the duties of a teacher and taught in Wabash for two years, being very successful in that work, though he felt it was not the exact field for which he was best fitted by nature and inclination. After two years of teaching he engaged in the drug business with Dr. Gunther of North Manchester, and continued with him until the year 1900 as a partner, after which he bought the stock of his partner and continued to operate the business for two years. In 1901 Dr. Perry decided on a course he had been considering for some time, and he entered the Indiana Medical College, from which he was duly graduated in 1905, gaining his M. D. degree at that time.
It has already been set forth how he located in the fall of the same year in Bippus, and how he has since continued prosperously and successfully in his chosen profession.
Dr. Perry was married in 1906 to Miss Lena Sandoz of North Manchester, and they have one son, --Fred G., born in 1910.
The fraternal affiliations of the Doctor are with the Masonic fraternity and West Point Lodge No. 688, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as the Knights of Pythias, of Manchester, Indiana. The Doctor is a republican in his political faith, and has been active in local politics to some extent. He is one of the trustees of Warrant township, and has done good work in the best interests of the community from a civic standpoint. Dr. Perry has also identified himself with the financial enterprises of the city, and was one of the organizers of the Bippus State Bank, one of the newer and advancing concerns of that place. He was the first one to hold the office of vice president of the bank, and is now a member of its directorate.
A man of quiet tastes and manners, Dr. Perry goes on his way without attracting undue attention to himself, but his position in the community is one of which he may well be proud, and is the result of his earnest work and his steadfast character.