Search for content in message boards

Henry I. Kress

Replies: 0

Henry I. Kress

Posted: 6 Apr 2004 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Kress, Pollock & Brandstater
“History of Huntington County, Indiana”1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 794-95

Henry I. Kress. The sterling citizenship of Huntington county is well represented by Henry I. Kress, a prosperous farmer of Jackson township, whose services have frequently been required by his community and by the county at large. His home place of eighty acres in Jackson township is a farm that might well be envied by his neighbors, and in farming, as in every one of his activities and undertakings, Mr. Kress displays that quiet efficiency which wins success against all odds.

Henry I. Kress was born in Lafayette township of Allen county, Indiana, March 27, 1854. He is one of a large family of fourteen children, seven of whom are still living born to Walter and Eliza (Pollock) Kress. His father came from Pennsylvania, and his mother from Maryland, and are both now deceased, having passed away in Allen county, where they were substantial farming people for many years.

Henry I. Kress grew up on a farm, attended the district school, and lived at home and made himself useful to his family, and at the same time acquired some degree of prosperity for himself until he was twenty-five years of age. He was then married to Miss Sarah E. Brandstater, of Allen county, where she was reared and educated. In 1894 Mr. and Mrs. Kress moved to Huntington county, locating on their present farm in Jackson township. To their marriage were born four children, and three are still living: Lida, is the wife of Henry DeArmett and is a graduate of the Roanoke high school; Nellie is a graduate of the Roanoke high school and wife of Frank Kress, their home being in California; Henry Kress, Jr., after graduating from the Roanoke high school, and taking a course in Valparaiso University is now connected with a bonding company in Chicago. The family are active workers and members in the Methodist Episcopal church at Roanoke, and Mr. Kress is one of the trustees of the society. He takes much interest in fraternal matters, being affiliated with Roanoke lodge of the Masonic Order, and is a past noble grand of Little River Lodge No. 275, I. O. O. F. As a republican his political influence has been of value to his party, and as a good citizen he never neglects an opportunity to advance the prosperity and welfare of his community. He is the present jury commissioner of this county.

Find a board about a specific topic