â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 668-69
Charles Keller. Among the progressive and enterprising merchants of Huntington county, Indiana, one who has won success through his own energetic and well directed efforts is Charles Keller, the proprietor of a flourishing business at Warren. Left fatherless at the age of eight years, he has steadfastly fought his own way over obstacles and discouragements, and today is eminently entitled to recognition as one of his communityâ€™s most substantial citizens. Mr. Keller is a native son of Huntington county, Indiana, having been born on a farm near Belleville, in Jefferson township, September 25, 1876, and is a son of Daniel and Laura (Archre) Keller.
The Keller family was founded in Huntington county by Joseph Keller, the paternal grandfather of Charles Keller, who came here at an early day and located on a tract of land near Belleville. He was an agriculturist by vocation and continued as a tiller of the soil until his death, being known as an industrious business man and public-spirited citizen. Like his father, Daniel Keller early embarked in farming, and was so engaged until his death in 1884, two years after he had located in Warren. Several years after his demise his widow was married to John J. Williams, and still survives him, being now a resident of Warren.
Charles Keller has been a resident of Warren since his sixth year. His early educational training was secured in the district schools of Salamonie township, following which he entered the graded schools of Warren, and was graduated from the high school of this city in 1897. In the spring of that year he received his introduction to mercantile pursuits, when he became a clerk in the store of S. A. Pulse, and during the fifteen years that followed became thoroughly familiar with every detail of the business. At the time of Mr. Pulseâ€™s death, in 1912, Mr. Keller succeeded to the business, which he has continued to carry on with ever increasing success. By reason of his natural abilities, wealth of modern ideas and constant industry, he has broadened the scope of the business, and through catering to the needs and desires of his customers has attracted a thoroughly representative trade. At this time he is giving employment to from ten to fourteen clerks. Mr. and Mrs. Keller reside on the old Pulse homestead, and in addition to his business he owns eighty acres of land in Salamonie township, located two miles north of Warren. Mr. Keller is a very busy man, with large demands made upon his time and attention, yet he has ever been foremost in contributing of his time, his means and his energy in forwarding movements for the betterment of his community and the advancement of its interests. He has shown an interest in fraternal matters, belonging to King Lodge No. 246, F. & A. M., the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Bluffton. A stanch and active republican, he is widely known in local and county politics, where his influence is far-reaching. Mrs. Keller is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Warren.
In October, 1900, Mr. Keller was married to Miss Daisy M. Pulse, who graduated in the same class with him from the Warren high school, and they have become the parents of three children, namely; Charles Allen, eight years old; Virginia Rosadean, four years of age; and Wendell Pulse, who is just past one year of age.