â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 782-83
Nathan L. Highlands. The little community of Roanoke has no more enterprising and public spirited citizen than the well known merchant Nathan L. Highlands, who has spent practically all his life in this county, and has built up a mercantile establishment at Roanoke, which is a credit to the village and to his own personal ability.
Nathan L. Highlands was born on a farm in Jackson township, Huntington county, April 8, 1878, a son of James and Mary (Nortcutt) Highlands. His father was born in Warren township, and the mother was likewise a native of the same locality. Grandfather Nathan Highlands was a Pennsylvanian by birth, in young manhood came west and settled in Wabash county, Indiana, and later in Huntington county. James Highlands the father, grew up on a farm in Warren township, had a common school education, and was still quite young when the war broke out. He volunteered for service in defense of the Union, went out with the Seventh Indiana Cavalry, and saw active service in the armies of the north from 1862 until the close of the war. Returning an honored veteran to Huntington county, he married and began a career of industry as a farmer in Jackson township, where he remained until his death. In politics he was a stanch democrat, and served as trustee of Jackson township for one term. He had fraternal affiliations with Little River Lodge No. 275, I.O.O.F., and at one time was noble grand in that organization. Of his children there are six still living, as follows: Mattie, wife of George Edwards, of Jackson township; Della, wife of George B. Fields, of Hartford City; John, of Roanoke; Hattie, unmarried; Nathan L.; and Klea, wife of Arthur Kelsey, of Jackson township.
Nathan L. Highlands was reared on a farm until he was fifteen years of age, and in the meantime had more or less regular training in the district schools. After moving to Roanoke he attended the Roanoke and Jackson township high school, and is a graduate of that institution. His experience in business began early, and his first important position was as foreman of the A. T. Vail Stave Factory. In this line of manufacturing he became very proficient and later was transferred to Ellison, Ohio, and continued in that line for three years. Finally he returned to Roanoke, and went in with Mr. E. E. Richards, and was associated with that well known merchant for six years. In March, 1908, he went into business for himself, and for four years was alone. Since then he has been associated with Mr. Settlemyre, and their establishment is a prosperous and going concern in Roanoke.
In 1900 Mr. Highlands married Tillie E. Settlemyre, who belongs to the well known family of that name in Jackson township. They are the parents of two daughters: Leona C., aged twelve, and Mayme, aged ten. The family worship in the United Brethren church and Mr. Highlands is a trustee of the same. Fraternally he is affiliated with Tent No. 124 of the Knights of the Maccabees. In politics he is a prohibitionist, and wherever possible uses his influence to promote that cause. He has served as a member of the Roanoke school board since 1908.