â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 781-82
Aaron E. Smith. Successfully combining the vocation of farming and auctioneering, Mr. Aaron E. Smith has long been one of the substantial and respected citizens of Jackson township. The family have been identified with Huntington county since the early days, and Mr. Smith by his own success has fortified the position which the family as a whole enjoys in this part of Indiana.
Aaron E. Smith was born in Union township of Huntington county, February 9, 1860, a son of Samuel A. and Sarah J. (Arick) Smith. Both parents came from Wayne county, Ohio, locating in Huntington county, a number of years before the Civil war. They had a farm in Union township. The mother died when Aaron E. Smith was four years of age, and after that he went to live with his grandfather and grandmother Arick, in whose household he was reared up to the age of fourteen. After that he went to his fatherâ€™s home in Jackson township, and continued with the latter until his death. As a boy Mr. Smith attended school in Jackson township, but the necessity for work in order to earn his own way, and to contribute to the support of the family was so insistent that his early education was much neglected. Until he was twenty-six years of age Mr. Smith lived at home. In 1886 he married Miss Anna Walter of Jackson township. She was born and reared in that vicinity, had an education in the district schools, and afterward taught school in Huntington county until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Methodists Episcopal church at Roanoke, and she is a steward in the church organization. In politics Mr. Smith has always been a republican up to the campaign of 1912, when he joined forces with the progressive and cast his ballot for that party candidate.
Mr. Smith is an auctioneer of considerable note, and has a very successful record as a public salesman, his services being much in demand throughout this section of Indiana. He has followed that profession more or less actively for the past seventeen years. When he started out for himself he had nothing, and now owns seventy acres of land a mile west of Roanoke, on the Fort Wayne and Huntington Gravel Road. He has a fine residence, strictly modern in all its appointments, and one of the best country estates in Jackson township.