From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 734-736
Levi L. Ulrich, ex-trustee of Lancaster township, of which part of the
county he is also a native, was born June 29, 1863. His parents, John H.
and Mary A. (Hoover) Ulrich, were both born in Pennsylvania, and prior to
their removal to Lancaster township were residents of Wayne county,
Indiana. These parents sustained the relation to each other of
step-brother and step-sister, and were raised from childhood under the
same roof, the former's father having married the latter's mother.
John H., and Mary A. Ulrich were married in the county of Wayne, and
became residents of Huntington county in 1849, settling in Lancaster
township and purchasing one hundred and sixty acres of woodland, which
subsequently became the family homestead. They were the parents of nine
children, seven sons and two daughters, as follows: John, Jacob
(deceased), Catherine, Samuel (deceased), Daniel (deceased), David
(deceased), Martin, Elizabeth and Levi L.
After his father's death, which occurred while the subject was a youth,
Levi L. remained at home looking after the interests of the farm until
reaching years of maturity. He enjoyed the best educational advantages
the common schools afforded, and for a period of eight years taught in
Huntington county and earned the reputation of an able and painstaking
instructor. Having decided to devote his life to farming he engaged in
the same in his young manhood and has ever since been one of the
progressive farmers of Lancaster township and one of the public spirited
men of the community.
Mr. Ulrich was married December 24, 1887, to Miss Florence Morrow,
daughter of James Morrow, one of the pioneer farmers of the township of
Wayne. Mrs. Ulrich was born September 14, 1863, and is the mother of one
child, Earnest, whose birth occurred on the 5th day of October 1898. She
has opened her heart and home to another, an orphan by the name of Olive
Brown, whom she is raising and educating as her own, and for whom she
proposes to make ample provision for the future.
Mr. Ulrich belongs to the Republican school of politics, being earnest in
the support of his convictions and an active worker in the party. He has
served as committeeman from his township for several years, and is
usually chosen to represent Lancaster in conventions when candidates are
to be nominated. In 1894 he was elected trustee of the township by a
handsome majority over a popular opponent, and discharged the duties of
the office with commendable fidelity until the fall of 1900. His long
continuance in this position of trust by the people is a sufficient
tribute to his efficiency and fitness for public place; but aside from
this he has never solicited honors of any kind at the hands of his fellow
citizens, nor sought the emoluments of office.
As a son of one of the early pioneers Mr. Ulrich has witnessed many
remarkable transformations of the forests of Lancaster into beautiful
farms; the development of its former waste places into gardens of beauty;
besides bearing his part in this process of growth which places this
section of the county at the very front in all that pertains to an
advanced stage of civilization and enlightenment.
As a farmer Mr. Ulrich keeps himself fully abreast the times, and his
business enterprises, which have in the main proved successful, have
never been jeopardized by the mania for injudicious speculation. He now
enjoys, with his wife and the two children under his roof, an ample
competence of this world's goods, and with vigorous health has every
reason to prophesy a long and prosperous future. He is an active member
of the German Baptist church, as is his wife, and stands high in the
confidence and esteem of his brethren by reason of his unselfish devotion
to the cause of religion and the numerous acts of kindness and charity
performed in the quiet and unostentatious manner so highly commended by
the Savior while upon the earth.