â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 816-17
James W. Campbell. Actively and industriously engaged in the prosecution of a calling upon which the wealth and support of the nation largely depends, James W. Campbell, of Jefferson township, has long been an important factor in advancing the agricultural interests of Huntington county, where he owns and operates a large and valuable farm. A son of Thomas Campbell, he was born in Van Buren township, Grant county, Indiana, October 17, 1862, coming from pioneer stock, his Grandfather Campbell having at an early day settled in section 33, Jefferson township, where he cleared and improved a homestead and on which he resided until his death.
Born in Ohio, Thomas Campbell was young when he was brought by his parents to Jefferson township. Growing to manhood on the home farm, he assisted in clearing it, and later was for many years actively engaged in the timber and ditching business, his working taking him into various parts of the state. He spent his last few days in Warren, Indiana, dying March 27, 1907. In Jefferson township he married Nancy Hedrick, who is still living. Three children were born to their union: Margaret C.; Leah L. (who died at the age of ten years) and James W.
James W. Campbell spent his boyhood days in Wayne township and in Liberty township of Wabash county, attending school in both places. Choosing farming as his life occupation, he made a study of the different branches of agriculture, and when he had accumulated enough money wisely invested it in land. In 1890 he bought his present farm in Jefferson township, where he owns two hundred and thirty-four and three-fourths acres of land, lying in the east half, southeast quarter of section 8, and in the east half of the northeast quarter of section 17, and a part of the northwest quarter of section 16. Since taking possession of his farm in 1891 Mr. Campbell erected a dwelling in the opening that he cleared, has tiled the land or ditched it, and each year adds to its improvements and value, as well as to its attractiveness.
Mr. Campbell married, July 14, 1883, Emma Johnson, who was born in Van Buren township, Grant county, Indiana, a daughter of William Johnson. Left motherless when she was an infant, she early developed a taste and talent for domestic duties, and at the age of eleven years was keeping house for her father, she being the youngest of a family of fourteen children. She subsequently worked for herself until her marriage. Four sons and two daughters have been born to the union of Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, but the daughters, Nellie and Hazel E., died in infancy. The sons are: Burr E., of Jefferson township, who married Izora Cain; Cliff L., a resident of Illinois, who married Dessie Long; Russell H., of Jefferson township, who married Geraldine Mote; and Roy Mc., a pupil in the public schools.
Two years after his marriage Mr. Campbell commenced carrying the mail on the Star route from Pleasant Plain to Marion, and thus continued for two years. He then went to Warren and carried the mail from there to Huntington, and after four years there he in 1891 moved to his farm. In politics he is an adherent of the republican party. Religiously he and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he has served as class leader for sixteen years and of which he is steward.