From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 612-613
William J. Hubartt, of Warren, Indiana, the widely known proprietor of the Warren Planing Mill, is a native of Huntington county, his birth occurring in Jefferson township, four miles northwest of Warren, September 1, 1849, his parents, George and Elizabeth E. (Crawley) Hubartt, having been among the earliest settlers of the county, their residence dating from 1844. George was the son of William D. Hubartt, a native of Virginia, who became an early resident of Franklin county, Indiana, although his later years were passed with his son in this vicinity, where his death occurred at the age of eighty-four. He had entered quite a large tract of government land, some of which he gave to his other sons, Thomas and Samuel Hubartt, the latter residing in Rock Creek until his death, about twenty-five years ago. Thomas, the other brother, now resides in Stark county, having moved from Huntington county about twenty years ago. George is still living on the old homestead, which he cleared from the wilderness, and upon which he has resided, with the exception of about ten years in Warren, where his wife died at the age of seventy-one. While the making of his farm largely occupied his life, from a business standpoint, his devotion to and connection with the development of the moral side of humanity has made him one of the most widely known and highly respected citizens of the community. When but a young man of nineteen he became identified with the cause of Christianity, becoming a minister of that sect of Christians generally known as the New-Light denomination. His entrance into the ministry resulted from ardent convictions based upon sound reasoning, the early preachers of that sect having been men whose efforts in proselyting were founded upon clear, logical arguments substantiated by the unanswerable truths of the Bible. For sixty years Mr. Hubartt has constantly worked with eagerness to further the cause of the Master. He has preached over a wide extent of country, attending churches sometimes seventy-five miles distant from home. He is one of the last survivors of the typical pioneer preacher; and now, at the age of seventy-nine, is still sound and vigorous in mind, frequently preaching with something of his old-time vigor to the congregation at Plum Tree. Many of the members of that church are now the grandchildren of those to whom he preached a half century ago.
His family consisted of four sons and three daughters, of whom those living are: Elizabeth; William J.; Eunice R., now Mrs. Arnold Williams, who resides upon the old homestead with her father; Milton, a resident of Clear Creek township; Mary Margaret, now Mrs. James Updyke, of Lancaster; James Vincent, of Blackford county; and Charles, of Warren. William J. Hubartt, at the age of eighteen, learned the carpenter's trade, to which the greater part of his life has been devoted, one year being spent in Kansas and nearly five years in Hartford City. He began to take contracts for buildings before attaining his majority, and his energy is such that his business is quite extensive often requiring the services of nearly forty men. Some five years since, Mr. Hubartt built and now operates a large planing mill. He had about three thousand dollars invested, and his machinery being of the most recent pattern he is able to produce all of the finer grades of stair, cornice or interior work demanded by progressive builders. He gives employment to from three to six men in the mill, the annual business amounting to about eight thousand dollars.
Mr. Hubartt was married at the age of twenty-two to Miss Mary E. Sutton, daughter of Amos K. Sutton, who was born in Salamonie township, being at her marriage a much sought young lady of seventeen. Four children have been born to them, the eldest being Alonzo F., of Hartford City; Claudius L., of the same place, both being professional glass blowers, as is Ira E., whose twin sister is Myra E., now at home. Mr. Hubartt adheres to the principles of the Democratic party and is frequently found in its conventions as a delegate, although he has refused to qualify for offices to which he has been elected. He is an active member of the Christian church, being, like his father, deeply interested in the moral progress of the community. His relations in fraternal life have extended only to the Court of Honor. While Mr. Hubartt is a man whose convictions, whether upon questions of business, religion or politics, are most determined; he readily accords like privileges to others, realizing that any man is entitled to his honest opinions when based upon sound reason and good judgment. His affable manner and courteous treatment to all with whom he comes in contact has given him a warm place in the hearts of the citizens of Warren, regardless of individual peculiarities.
On May 13, 1901, Mr. Hubartt sold out his interests in Warren, conserving his planing mill which he contemplates moving to Hartford City.