Search for content in message boards

Lloyd S. Jones

Replies: 0

Lloyd S. Jones

Posted: 30 May 2003 5:50PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Jones, Ruse, Reveal, Dillon, Antrim, Good, Thompson

From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 349-352

Conspicuous among the leading business men of the county of Huntington is
the gentleman whose name introduces this article. Coming of an old and
prominent family, several members of which were intimately connected with
the rise and progress of this section of the state, he takes a pardonable
pride in the parts they performed in the transformation of Huntington
county from a wilderness into its present proud position among its sister
counties of the commonwealth.

While a soldier in the war of 1812 Samuel Jones, grandfather of Lloyd S.,
passed through this part of northern Indiana, and, being favorably
impressed with the natural advantages of the county, resolved that should
favorable opportunity ever present itself he would locate a home in the
territory now embraced within the limits of Huntington county. Samuel
Jones was born in Pennsylvania December 20, 1790. His parents were John
and Linna Jones, with whom he went to Ohio when quite young, and in that
state grew to manhood. On January 5, 1812, he married Sarah Ruse, of the
county of Highland, where he lived until the termination of his wedded
life, in 1825, his wife dying July 28th of that year. Subsequently he
married Nancy Reveal and in the spring of 1833 came to Huntington county
and entered the tract of land embracing the present site of Warren, and
on September 9th, following, he brought his family, locating them in the
cabin he had previously erected. The Indianapolis & Ft. Wayne road
passed through this tract of land, and on the first day of January, 1837,
Mr. Jones offered lots for sale in what he was pleased to call the town
of Jonesboro. Learning, however, that another place in the state had
been platted which bore that name, he changed it to Warren, by which it
has since been known.

Samuel Jones continued to reside here for a period of forty years after
his first settlement, and by his honest and fair dealing won the
confidence and respect of the pioneers throughout an extensive region of
country. He served with distinction in the war of 1812, and after
locating here became a recognized leader among the people, many of whom
looked to him as an adviser and counsellor in affairs of business and
matters of legislature. Politically he upheld the principles of the
Democratic party, and in 1848 was elected to represent the counties of
Huntington and Whitley in the General Assembly of Indiana.

His early advantages for obtaining an education were limited, but,
possessing strong natural ability, he strongly espoused the cause of
education in the new country and was instrumental in establishing the
first school ever taught in the township of Salamonie. He did this by
employing a private teacher for his own family and later donated to the
neighborhood a house for educational purposes. After an honorable and
useful career, fraught with great good to his fellowman, he died greatly
lamented by a large circle of friends in the community which he was
instrumental in founding.

Silas Jones, son of Samuel, was thirteen years of age when his father
located in the wilds of Salamonie township. He was born September 19,
1820, in Highland county, Ohio, and spent his boyhood and youth amid the
hardships of pioneer life, receiving a fair education for that day of log
school-houses and indifferently prepared instructors. On the 12th day of
November, 1840, he was united in marriage with Miss Eliza J. Dillon,
daughter of John and Sarah Dillon, residents at that time of Huntington
county, but natives of the state of Ohio. This union was blessed with
seven children, namely: Sarah E., Theresa J., Alfred W., Elvira E.,
Jasper J., Lloyd S. and George P., the last named deceased. The mother
of these children was called from the scenes of her earthly labor May 5,
1877. She was a lady of many noble qualities of head and heart, a devout
member of the Christian church and all by whom she was known loved and
respected her.

Subsequently, October 17, 1880, Mr. Jones married his second wife, Miss
Sarah Antrim, of Highland county, Ohio. Mr. Jones was always an active
worker in the Democratic party, but never became offensively partisan,
numbering his friends by the score irrespective of political ties. He
began life at the bottom of the ladder and by strict attention to
business became eminently successful in the accumulation of property. He
owned one farm of three hundred and twenty acres near Warren, where he
spent the best part of his life clearing and preparing it for
cultivation, and which he made his home until retiring from active duties
a few years prior to his death. He spent his later years in retirement
in East Warren, which addition he made to the town, and died in his
beautiful home there on the 8th day of June, 1888. It was his privilege
to attend the first election held in the township of Salamonie and he
lived to witness the many remarkable changes which have marked the
development of this part of the county. In this connection it may be
proper to mention the fact that, on his arrival in Huntington county,
Samuel Jones entered tracts of land in Salamonie township for Silas,
Allen, Nancy, Matilda and Lucinda Jones, his children, and William, John,
Samuel and Sarah, children by his second marriage; each received a tract
of land near Huntington, which in course of time greatly increased in
value.

Lloyd S. Jones, son of Silas, was born in Salamonie township the 4th day
of May, 1854. Until his thirteenth year he worked on his father's farm
and attended school, and then entered the store with his father, where he
obtained his first introduction to business life. Within a short time
the father went back to the farm, leaving his mercantile interests to his
two sons, Alfred and Lloyd, and well did they manage the concern until
the latter, by reason of ill health, was compelled to seek a less onerous
vocation. Some time after retiring from the store Lloyd attended two
terms of school at Warren, and later spent the same amount of time at
what was known as The Rural Home Academy at Huntington, where he obtained
a knowledge of the higher branches of learning. At the age of
twenty-seven he married Miss Belle G. Good, who was born April 14, 1862,
the daughter of Samuel L. and Mary A. (Thompson) Good. After his
marriage Mr. Jones moved to the old home farm, a portion of which he
purchased after his father's death, and later became owner of the entire
tract, consisting of two hundred and eighty acres of valuable and highly
improved land adjoining the corporation of Warren. Prior to the death of
S. L. Good the Exchange Bank of Warren and real estate owned by that
gentleman were consigned to George S. Good, Lloyd S. Jones and John L.
Priddy, under whose joint management the institution was reorganized with
the firm name of G. S. Good & Co. With Mr. Good as president, Mr. Jones
as vice-president, and Mr. Priddy as cashier, the bank was soon upon an
era of prosperity and obtained more than local repute in business circles
as a safe and sound financial institution, a reputation it still
sustains.

In the fall of 1900 Mr. Jones left the farm where he had lived ever since
his marriage and moved into a property on the corner of Third and Main
streets, where he now resides. He is a wide-awake, energetic business
man, public-spirited in all that pertains to the town's interest and has
done a great deal toward promoting the general improvements of the
country. While living on the farm he took a great interest and pride in
live stock, and is still largely engaged in that important industry in
connection with his other business enterprises.

Born and reared a Democrat, he was always one of the party's most
energetic workers in Huntington county until 1896, when, not agreeing
with the party's financial policy, he refused to support Mr. Bryan for
the presidency, but cast his vote for Palmer and Buckner. In matters
religious he believes in the teachings of the Christian church, of which
himself and family are members, belonging to the congregation worshiping
in Warren. Fraternally he is a Mason of high standing, belonging to King
Lodge, No. 246, of Warren, of which he has served as worshipful master;
his name is also found upon the records of Chapter No. 27, in the city of
Huntington.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones have a family of four children: Mabel Eliza, born
June 28, 1882, at the present time bookkeeper in the Exchange Bank; Fred
Good, born May 26, 1885; Silas Lloyd, born October 12, 1895; and George
Gage, whose birth occurred on the 27th day of September, 1897.

Mr. Jones is a noted representative of western life and western training,
and well deserves the high esteem in which he is held by his fellow
citizens. He has the reputation of being a shrewd, careful, methodical
business man, honorable and upright in all his dealings, quiet and
unpretentious in his manner, domestic in his habits, and his character
and standing as a financier and citizen is above reproach. In many ways
Mr. Jones is ever contributing to the material developmen (sic) of the
county. In his social relations he enjoys the respect and love of those
who know his (sic) best, and is regarded by his many acquaintances and
friends as a genial neighbor, a sincere friend, and one whose religious
convictions are exemplified in his daily life.

Find a board about a specific topic