From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington county, 1901, pages 510-511
James H. Marshall, one of the prominent citizens of Warren, Huntington county, Indiana, was born in this county May 1, 1858, and is a son of Samuel Marshall, one of the oldest and most energetic pioneers of early times. The grandparents of our subject were Thomas and Margaret Marshall, both of whom were born in the state of Pennsylvania, and of English parentage. They were married about the year 1810, in Licking county, Ohio, in which state the grandfather died in 1844. After his death the grandmother made a home for her son Samuel, remaining with him until she, too, passed into the great beyond.
Samuel Marshall was born in Franklin county, Ohio, February 1, 1812, and was the second son in a family of ten children. His boyhood days were spent in carrying on the work of the farm and in acquiring a fundamental education in the primitive schools of his locality. He was bright of perception and gained a practical education, which enabled him to make a fair showing in life. When he became of age he engaged in carpenter work and followed that for many years, saving his earnings until, at the expiration of three years, he had two hundred dollars. Realizing the futility of attempting to save sufficient money to buy him a farm in Ohio, Samuel Marshall resolved to go westward and try his fortunes in the less densely populated country of the interior, toward which the tide of immigration had but recently been turned. About the first of April, 1836, he set out on foot to seek a home in the new and untried territory. By the middle of the month he had reached what was then known as Charlestown, and so well was he pleased with the land he was there shown that he at once started for Fort Wayne to enter one hundred and sixty acres. His land lay in sections nine and ten, and was in its primevial condition, covered with wood and underbrush and abounding with all kinds of game common to the state in early days. There were no roads laid out and the cabins of the pioneers were widely scattered. Mr. Marshall again began working at his trade whenever he could find employment, although it sometimes took him very far from home. He lost little time, and when the opportunity offered he would work on his farm, clearing off the timber and getting the land in readiness for cultivation.
On April 5, 1855, he was united in marriage with Mary C. Shull, daughter of John and Lydia Shull, and a family of nine children resulted, namely: Thomas C., John S., James H., Laura B., Lydia C., Margaret E., Almeda J., Mary A. and Samuel G. Three of the number, Thomas, Lydia and Samuel, have passed on to the higher life into which the mother entered on September 24, 1874.
James H. Marshall, the subject of these memoirs assisted in the work on his father's farm and attended the country schools until his twentieth year, when he began to work for himself. He worked by the month, receiving eighteen dollars, and also at carpentering, but believed in having a good time and did not see the necessity of saving his money at first. However, he began to realize ere long that if he was to accumulate anything it must be done by denying himself present pleasures, and to his industry he added the habit of frugality.
On October 8, 1882, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Bardsley, whose parents lived in the same neighborhood and were among the honored agriculturists of the county for many years. Her father, Joseph Bardsley, came from England to New York in 1848, and from there worked his way west until he reached Franklin county, Indiana, where he continued to work by the day, saving his wages until he had enough to enable him to buy a farm. He was married in that county and made it his home until 1867, when he came to Huntington county and settled in Jefferson township, where he purchased a tract of one hundred and thirty acres, which he cleared, ditched and cultivated. Our subject first bought a farm in Grant county, Indiana, when he disposed of it and moved to Warren, Jefferson township, where he engaged in the livery business. As this business did not prove satisfactory and was distasteful to him, Mr. Marshall sold out and invested in a farm near Pleasant Plains, where he lived for about three years. About this time he had an opportunity to buy an eighty-acre tract in the southern part of Jefferson township, and took advantage of the bargain offered. Oil was not then so plentiful as at present, and the industry was in its infancy, not having been developed in the township. Since then it has been shown to be rich in the oily fluid, and the output from the wells on Mr. Marshall's land yields him a monthly income of from forty to fifty dollars. Mr. Marshall brought his family to Warren, where they have been residing for some time, the wife's health being too delicate to stand the wear and tear of farm life. A second consideration for the change of location was that their only child, Everett, who was born October 31, 1886, might have the advantages of the better grade of schools. Mr. Marshall is a Republican, and is frequently chosen to serve as delegate to county conventions. He is a man who stands well among his associates, and is upright and consistent in all he does and says.