William Beck, a farmer of Jefferson Township, was born in Pennsylvania, August 16, 1822, and he while quite young went to Maryland and resided there with his parents until he was sixteen years old. He was the youngest of a family of seven children, born to Michael and Susannah (Haynes) Beck, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. When William was sixteen years of age he accompanied his parents west, and they finally located in Wayne County, Ind., where they resided until their deaths. William grew to manhood in Wayne County, and during his youth learned the carpenterâ€™s trade, and contracted the building of several of the most substantial residences of Jefferson Township. On October 30, 1842, he was married to Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of William and Nancy Campbell, natives of Kentucky. Elizabeth was born in Wayne County, Ind., August 21, 1826; this union was blessed with thirteen children, namely: Eli, Susanah, Malinda, Nancy, Caroline, George W., Michael, Elama, William W., Elizabeth J., and Daniel, of whom Eli, Susanah, Michael, Elama, Nancy, Elizabeth J., Daniel, and two infants died unnamed. Eli took a part in the late Rebellion, and died April 30, 1881. Probably contracted the disease in the war. Mrs. Beck was called away October 5, 1875; she died a member of the United Brethren Church, and highly esteemed by all who knew her. In 1853, Mr. Beck moved upon the farm he now resides upon, which he had purchased some years previous; it now contains 325 acres and can be classed among the best farms in the vicinity. He is a self-made man, and started in life on his own responsibility with a willing heart and a few carpenterâ€™s tools. In a financial way he has been eminently successful, but has had the misfortune to lose his wife and nine children. In politics he is a Democrat, and a member of the United Brethren Church. He has lived to witness a great change in Huntington County, and has done his share toward its development.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Jefferson Township, pages 675 and 676.