Nehemiah Brown, of Warren Township, is a native of Preble County, Ohio, born near the village of Camden, March 6, 1828, being the eldest of a family of two children born to Isaiah M. and Mary (Thompson) Brown, the former, a native of New Jersey, was born October, 1805, the son of Clayton Brown, who was also a native of New Jersey. The latter a native of Pennsylvania, who was born June 16, 1805, from whence the family removed to Ohio about 1816, where the father of our immediate subject grew to manhood, receiving what was for those days a fair education. Shortly after attaining his majority he was united in marriage with Mary Thompson. This marriage was of comparatively shor duration, his wife dying October 6, 1830. In the spring of 1833, Martha A. Silver became his wife. In the fall of 1848, he emigrated to Indiana, reaching Huntington County, the first of November that year, and he continued a resident of this county until his death, which occurred April 16, 1857. His last wife survived him, and died at the house of her daughter, in Missouri, July 18, 1883, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was a man of considerable local prominence and was honored with an election to the office of Township Trustee. He was an active member in the Society of Friends, and lived a true and devout Christian life. The two children by his first marriage were Nehemiah and Charles, who became with their father residents of Huntington County, and have since remained such. The former, the subject of our sketch, received a common school education in his native State and county sufficient to enable him to take charge of the neighborhood schools, upon coming to this county. He remained at home and assisted his parents until he attained the age of twenty-four, when June 10, 1852, his and Sarah Mooreâ€™s nuptials were celebrated, and to their union six children have been born, of whom these five are now living: Mary J., now Matron of the Ladiesâ€™ Hall at the Valparaiso Normal School; Albert, who married Annie Sprinkle; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Cyrus Stultz; Laura E. and Emma L. He has always made farming his occupation and he has been very successful. He now own 200 acres of well improved land. He is a member of the Friendâ€™s Church, a man of pronounced temperance views and as such casts his ballot for and with the cause of the Prohibition party, and is a warm advocate of the principles of that party. He was one of the principal stockholders, and was largely instrumental in having the Huntington and Maple Grove Pike Road constructed, serving as its superintendent six years. Mrs. Brown is a daughter of John and Margaret (Evans) Moore, who were among the early settlers of this vicinity. She was born February 27, 1831. John C. Brown and family, came to the county and settled in Warren Township about 1853, and lived here until his death in 1872. He was the father of a large family of children, most of who have removed from the county, only one descendant, a daughter, Mary, wife of J. F. Smith still living here.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical Sketches of Warren Township, pages 864 and 865.