â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 761-62
Charles J. Stouder, a worthy representative of a sterling family, is one of the highly respected farmers and citizens of Dallas township, where he is the owner of 120 acres of land. He has always devoted himself to agriculture and has met with a gratifying degree of success in his chosen field of endeavor, and in addition to his private interests has found time to assist materially in promoting the welfare of his community. Mr. Stouder is a native of Huntington county, having been born on a farm in Polk township, March 28, 1869, and is a son of John and Mary (Lahr) Stouder. His father, who was born in the Buckeye state, came to Indiana in young manhood and first settled in Clear Creek township, where he was married. Subsequently he moved to Polk township, and there continued to carry on farming until November, 1890, when he moved to a farm in Dallas township and lived there until his death, in November, 1913. When he embarked upon his career Mr. Stouder was in very modest circumstances, but through energy, perseverance and intelligent effort he was able to accumulate a competency, make a comfortable home for himself and family, and rear his children in a manner fitting them for honorable positions in life. He was widely and favorably known as a Mason in good standing, and was prominent also in political circles, serving as a member of the county council of Huntington county from the time the law went into effect until his death. Mr. Stouder was the father of nine children, of whom seven survive: Ida, who is the wife of Laban Allred, proprietor of the Homestead Stock Farm of Lancaster township; John A., who has a farm in Polk township; Charles J., of this review; E. C., of Polk township; Nora, who is the widow of Howard Sharp; Sadie, the wife of J. E. First; and Chester R., of Dallas township.
Charles J. Stouder was reared on the home farm in Polk township on which he had been born, and on which he helped his father while attending the district schools. Later he was a student in the normal school at Andrews, Indiana, and after one term therein passed the teacherâ€™s examination and received a license to teach. However, he has never taken advantage of this privilege. On his return to his home, he resumed farming, and continued to live on the old place in Polk township until two years after his marriage, when he purchased forty acres of land in Dallas township. This formed the nucleus for his present handsome property of 120 acres, which he has developed into one of the most valuable farms in this part of the county. He has erected good buildings and installed modern machinery and appliances, and gives the greater part of his time and attention to general farming and stockraising, although he has made wise investments in other enterprises and at this time is a director in the Farmers Trust Company of Huntington and a stockholder in the Lagro-Andrews Telephone Company. In politics he is a republican, and he is known as one of the influential men of his party in Dallas township. With his family he attends the Methodist Episcopal church, and at this time is a member of the board of trustees of Pilcher Chapel.
Mr. Stouder was married on October 2, 1892, to Miss Jennie A. Miller, who was born in Polk township, daughter of Frank Miller, an early settler of that locality.