â€œHistory of Huntington County, Indianaâ€1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 778-79
Edward C. Stouder. A large number of the energetic and progressive men of Huntington county have spent their lives in this neighborhood, growing with it and prospering with its prosperity, and have always been interested in its development. They are as a class stouthearted men, loyal to their section, and their devotion to their county has led to the wonderful growth which has marked its progress during the years. One of these men is Edward C. Stouder, of Polk township, whose entire career has been passed here, and who is now the owner of a handsome farm of 115 acres, located on section 1, on the Range Line turnpike, two miles east and two miles south of Andrews, and six miles southwest of Huntington.
Mr. Stouder was born on a farm in Polk township, September 10, 1872, and is a son of John and Mary (Lahr) Stouder. The father came to Huntington county as a lad with his mother, and here was educated and reared, early choosing agricultural pursuits as his field of labor. He continued to be so engaged up to the time of his death, November 11, 1913, and through earnest and energetic efforts attained a substantial position among the worldâ€™s workers. Mr. Stouder was a Mason, being a popular member of Antioch Lodge, at Andrews. Mrs. Stouder died in 1902. The next to the youngest of his parentsâ€™ sons, Edward C. Stouder was reared on his fatherâ€™s farm in Polk township, and here attended the district schools. He began to work on his own account at the age of twenty-one years, and after his marriage settled on rented property, which he cultivated while engaged in ditching at $1.00 per day. He thus accumulated a little property, to which he added from time to time until he had accumulated his present fine farm of 115 acres, in addition to which he has 160 acres in another tract. Mr. Stouderâ€™s success has been entirely self attained, for he started upon his career without capital or influence and has worked his way upward through honest effort. In addition to his stockraising and general farming operations, he has engaged extensively in buying stock and importing cattle from outside fields, which he sells to the farmers of his community. Mr. Stouderâ€™s energetic nature has led him into other fields of endeavor. On October 3, 1902, he moved to Huntington and engaged in the livery business, and while there was appointed chief of police of the city, a capacity in which he served for three years. At the end of that time he resigned his office, which he had filled most acceptably, subsequently disposed of his livery business, and returned to the farm, to the operation of which he has since devoted his entire attention with very successful results. In politics Mr. Stouder is a stanch Republican and has been active in his partyâ€™s work in the county. With his family, he belongs to the Pitcher Chapel church. His fraternal connection is with La Fontaine Lodge No. 42, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
On January 14, 1894, Mr. Stouder was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Beal, who was born in Lancaster township, Huntington county, Indiana, and was eleven years of age when she entered the home of J. D. Campbell, by whom she was educated in the district schools. Five children have been born to them, namely: Nondus, nineteen years of age, a graduate of the common schools; Paul, a graduate of the graded schools and now a student in the Andrews High school; and Wilbur, Charles and Dale, who are attending the public schools.