From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 530-531
Moses Johnson, the accommodating and genial blacksmith and carriage maker of Warren, Huntington county, Indiana, was born in Jay county, May 27, 1852, and is a son of William and Susan (Walters) Johnson. His father was of German descent and his mother's family came from Virginia. The parents lived in Perry county, Ohio, whence they moved in 1848 to Jay county, Indiana, where they purchased a farm. This farm was afterward sold and one purchased in Blackford county, and here they remained until their death. There were ten children in the family, Moses being the eldest; Sarah, the second child, who became the wife of John Hughes, is now deceased; Maria married George Finton, and resides in Jay county; James H. Johnson married Mary Foust, sister of A. J. Foust, and lives in Warren; Lizzie, deceased, married James Finton; and Albert makes his home in Montpelier.
Moses Johnson attended the common schools until his seventeenth year and obtained a fair education which has been enlarged by reading and observation in his more mature years. He grew up on his father's farm and was taught to make the best use of his time. When he was seventeen years of age he began buying up timber, working it up and selling it again, thus making and saving some money. Later he engaged in farming during the summer and worked in timber during the winter; but the work was hard, not altogether congenial to him, and he concluded to learn the trade of a woodman. Three years later he opened a shop at Pennville, Jay county, Indiana, but later located in Mt. Zion, in Wells county, where he conducted a shop for ten years. Following this he engaged in general merchandising in several places, but the last location being Poneto, in Wells county. From there he moved to Hartford City, where he worked in a carriage shop three years and was able to save enough money to liquidate the indebtedness which he had incurred in less fortunate ventures. He remained there until all his debts were paid off when he moved to Montpelier and was employed in building powers in the oil fields until 1897, when he came to Warren and opened a blacksmith and carriage shop. He has done exceedingly well in this business and has built up a large and lucrative trade, his aim being to turn out only the best work at the lowest prices. He is always obliging and genial in his manner, and his shop, which is situated on the corner of Main and Third streets, opposite the Methodist Episcopal church, is one of the busiest places in the village of Warren.
Mr. Johnson was joined in marriage with Miss Laura Sutton, daughter of William and Maria Sutton, who was left an orphan at the early age of nine years. She was of German-Irish ancestry and the third of a family of six children, her birth occurring in Delaware county, in 1856. They have two living children and one deceased: Lillie May died aged three years; William Ernest, aged twenty-two, is an assistant to his father, having learned the trade of a carriage maker; Marcus Guy, aged fourteen years, has been a student in the eighth grade at Warren, and during his vacation helps his father in the paint department of his establishment.
After the death of her father Mrs. Johnson was obliged to hire out by the week in order to earn a living, and she received many hard knocks from the world while carrying forward her duties. She is a model housekeeper, and their cosy home on Wayne street, in Warren, is always hospitably open to their many friends. Although they have lived here but a few years, it has not taken the citizens long to recognize their worth, and they occupy a prominent place in the community. They are zealous members of the Baptist church of Warren, in which Mr. Johnson occupies the position of class-leader. He is an honored member of the Red Men's lodge, having passed all the chairs and represented the organization in the councils of the grand lodge. In 1885 he joined Salamonie Lodge, No. 392, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Warren, but is now a member of Montpelier Lodge, No. 410, of the same order, having transferred his membership in 1889.
In politics he has always affiliated with the Democratic party, and took an active interest in the success of his friends while residing in Wells county, but has never been an aspirant for office.